The Fulham Boys School (FBS) is looking to appoint an outstanding teacher of English. The role is being offered due to the school still being in a period of growth. We opened in 2014 and currently have boys in Year 7 through to Year 12. We will have our first Year 13 in September 2020.
FBS is ambitious. We believe strongly in our vision and ethos and are determined to become one of the very best schools in the country and influence the educational landscape nationally and globally.
In an external review in November 2019, the school's ethos, pastoral care, personal development of pupils and standards of behaviour and uniform were described as 'beyond exceptional'.
We are currently in the process of moving from a SAT to a MAT which means that there will be exciting career progression opportunities for staff.
As for the English department, our GCSE results in the summer were excellent. 81% of our boys achieved a good pass in English literature, 86% of boys achieved a good pass in English Language, while 94% gained a good pass in either English Literature or Language.
The successful candidate will work with the rest of the English team on building upon this success and ‘bringing out the best in boys’.
To that end, candidates should:
• Be an outstanding classroom practitioner
• Have high expectations of students in terms of learning, achievement and behaviour
• Have a sound subject knowledge which they can utilise to challenge all pupils
• Be able to enthuse and excite our boys about English
• Be able to work with the rest of the department in planning and delivering an English curriculum that will equip our boys to achieve well at GCSE, A Level and university
• Be able to clearly demonstrate the impact that the English curriculum is having on our boys.
• Possess a real can do attitude
• Have the capacity to contribute to the development of the School’s Christian ethos
The main purpose of the role will be to teach English but there are also opportunities for the successful candidate to share their skills, experience, interests and hobbies within the extensive co-curricular programme that we offer to our boys.
Why apply to The Fulham Boys School?
• To work in a school that despite having no external exam results and only three years old at the time, was the first independent Free School under the new framework to be Judged as ‘Good’ by Ofsted with Outstanding features.
• To work in a school that has been judged outstanding in all four categories in its SIAMS inspection in November 2017.
• To work in a school that is truly comprehensive. 30% of our boys come from private school backgrounds. 39% live in social deprivation
• To work in a school that is heavily oversubscribed and the school of choice for many families who have the means to go private.
• Highly Competitive salary
• Opportunity to get an annual bonus.
• 18 extra days school holidays.
• Free school lunches every day freshly prepared by our school chef.
• Cycle to work scheme.
• Great connections to all London tube-lines and overground routes.
• Really high staff retention rates
What is the school like?
The Fulham Boys School is built upon the Christian Faith, geared towards boys and nurtures enterprise – personal, social and business.
We are a strict academic boys’ school that aims to equip our young men to apply for Oxbridge and Russell Group Universities.
We have a truly comprehensive intake which includes boys from very affluent backgrounds rubbing shoulders with boys from economically deprived backgrounds, all meeting the same high standards and learning from one another. Our vision is to be among the very best schools in this country – state or private – and believe we are on course to achieve this in the next ten years.
‘The headteacher has created a school which aims to achieve academic and personal excellence for all’
‘Academic progress is strong, boys are on track to achieve well at GCSE’
‘Behaviour in lessons is exemplary…the behaviour of pupils is outstanding…Boys live and breathe good manners and courtesy’
‘Staff are very proud to work at the school and are fully committed to the aspirational ethos. They recognize the strong support from senior leaders in the development of their teaching and in recognition of their personal well-being’
‘Staff engage with ways to improve their practice, there is a culture of collaboration and staff are keen to receive feedback: ‘There is an extensive coaching programme and staff collaborate to share best practice.’
The Department for Education have said,
‘The boys love learning and speak highly of teaching’
‘Morale is high and the school is thriving’
While the Local Community observed,
‘The school has delivered on the big claims they made before the school opened’
How to apply?
Please apply by filling in the school’s application form. If you would like to speak to someone at the school about the role then we would love to talk to you. You can call the school on 0207381 7100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for completed applications: Friday 21st February 2020
The successful candidates will be supportive of the School’s distinctly Christian ethos
FBS is committed to the protection and safety of our learners. The successful applicant will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check via the Disclosure and Barring Service prior to commencing the role.