Reporting to: Head of English
Location: Ark Greenwich
Pattern: Full Time
Start date: September 2019
Salary: Ark MPS Inner London
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to work at one of the highest performing schools in the country. If you are passionate about the importance of English and want to work in a seriously ambitious and high performing school, this is the job for you.
Ark Greenwich is a new, ambitious school model based on what we know excellent schools do. We have created a highly respectful and disciplined environment where our staff and students can fulfil their potential. Our aim is to become ‘the best school in London’ and we are close to achieving this because academic outcomes are first class and because we value and respect our staff.
Joining the school team is a superb opportunity for an ambitious and motivated teacher who wants to make a lasting difference to the communities they serve.
Ark Greenwich exists to empower young people, regardless of socio-economic background, to grow and be successful. This is an ambitious and forward-thinking school that encourages innovation and values its staff. We are proud of our highly respectful and disciplined community and of the outstanding academic outcomes achieved by our pupils. Expectations for all members of our community are unashamedly sky high. We work tirelessly to impact the lives of the young people we serve. Students at our school are passionate about English and keen to develop their skills through the popular weekly enrichment sessions and lunch time clubs.
How is Ark Greenwich different?
- We are part of the Ark family of schools and benefit accordingly from outstanding networking and career opportunities and first class CPD.
- Our aim is to become the best school in London by:
- Facilitating an exceptional culture where academic outcomes are amongst the highest in the country – but achieving this with integrity by refusing to ‘game the system’
- Providing compulsory life-enriching opportunities beyond the curriculum for our pupils
- Being renowned for being a school that respects, values and develops its staff to be brilliant at what they do without burning them out
- Making an impactful contribution to the broader education community by sharing our innovative model and through our extended community scheme
- Staff wellbeing is one of our main priorities. We provide breakfast for staff each morning and have a 6pm weekday and all weekend work related communication curfew to ensure our staff are able to maintain an effective work-life balance. We do not do knee-jerk reactions, fads or last minute deadlines. Our systems and processes - including for communication, pupil marking and feedback and assessment - are efficient and highly organised and the approaches we take are led by research and what we know to work best within of our context.
- This is a small school model (600 pupils aged 11-16) because we believe that our close-knit community provides the optimum conditions for academic success and outstanding pastoral care because we know every child.
- Pupil’s behaviour for learning is renowned for being exceptional so our teachers can focus their time on the things that matter – planning and delivering exceptional lessons for our pupils. Senior leaders are quick to support staff but also to hold them to the very highest standards.
- Our curriculum is traditional and academic and we do not take shortcuts – we do not offer vocational courses or equivalencies such as Btecs, Vcerts or the ECDL. We only offer full GCSE courses.
- We put high-quality teaching at the heart of what we do. We have 75 mins of high quality staff training every week. Live coaching and current best practice in the field of education is central to our approach – but we don’t do fads.
- We don’t grade individual lessons or ask for lesson plans but we do focus on progress over time and typicality by ensuring long and medium term plans are carefully designed and embedded across the curriculum.
- Our pupils enjoy a compulsory co-curricular program on a Wednesday afternoon much the same as in the private sector. This program includes a strong focus on community volunteering and the promotion of both inclusive and elite performance through a range of sporting, debating, public speaking, expressive and other activities. We facilitate 12 drop down days per academic year ensuring our pupils benefit from a range of life enriching experiences.
- This is a strict no excuses, no mobile phone school. We sweat the small stuff every single day.
If you are ready to add further value to our highly performing English department and to work alongside a brilliant school leadership team, then you will find this job extremely rewarding.
Alignment with the school’s vision, values and approach to education is essential.
The Role and the Department
We invest heavily in our outstanding English department which we believe is one of the strongest departments in the country; dedicating 5 hours a week to English for every student in KS4 and 4 hours at KS3. Pupils at AGFS achieved outstanding GCSE outcomes in English Literature and Language in 2018 – 25% grade 7-9, 64% grade 5+ (strong pass) and 79% grade 4+ (standard pass.) The English Progress 8 score was +0.6.
About Ark Schools
Ark is a network of high-achieving, non-selective schools and one of the country’s top-performing academy groups. We run 38 academies in London, Birmingham, Hastings, London and Portsmouth educating more than 26,000 pupils. 83% of Ark schools are now rated as good or outstanding by Ofsted.
Our aim is to create outstanding schools that give every pupil, regardless of their background, the opportunity to go to university or pursue the career of their choice.
To find out more about Ark Greenwich, please visit our website via www.arkgreenwichfreeschool.org
To apply please follow the below link to our recruitment portal:
Closing date: 09:00 Monday 22nd April. The school reserves the right to close this advert early should the right candidate be found. Interviews may take place before the advertised closing date. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early for this role.
Ark value diversity and are committed to safeguarding and promoting child welfare. The successful candidate will be subject to DBS and any other relevant employment checks.