Part-time (0.60 FTE)
Are you looking to teach English in a very successful school? This is an exciting opportunity for an outstanding teacher with vision and dynamism to join us teaching bright, motivated girls in a beautiful part of the country.
Results place us in the top 20 girls’ schools nationally; we were the Sunday Times South West State School of the Year 2019, and we are Ofsted Outstanding.
Our English Department
See the attached summary.
Please do not hesitate to contact our Head of English, Mrs Preston, for an informal chat about the role: email@example.com .
Why Work With Us?
• Range of social activities for staff, with end-of-term socials at a variety of local venues. Friday Club where staff meet for coffee, tea and biscuits. Staff meet for annual celebrations such as Christmas mulled wine, our carol service, concerts, plays and productions; there are end-of-term staff lunches.
• There is a strong House Culture and all new members of staff are assigned to one of our five Houses. You will have the opportunity to take part in the wide variety of house activities including staff vs students sports, fundraising activities, Sponsored Walk and the House Shout.
• The new Sports Hall provides a fitness suite, with £50,000 of machines, and is free for staff use.
• During the summer holidays, staff teams have completed the 3 Peaks Challenge and the Perambulation of Dartmoor.
• We have a Trekking club and a newly formed Veg club.
Torquay’s position makes it convenient for the outstanding natural beauty of both Dartmoor and the South Devon coast. The beaches of the county are some of the best of the country and you can get away from the stresses of life by walking on the rugged moors. The beautiful cathedral city of Exeter is on your doorstep, as is the City of Plymouth with its rich maritime history; both of these have excellent new shopping centres. There is a unanimous feeling among staff that the area is a wonderful place to bring up children.
What We’re Looking For
- A proven highly successful teaching record of teaching English with understanding of recent developments in the curriculum.
- Subject knowledge sufficient to challenge the most able students up to A Level.
- An enthusiastic approach to teaching & learning, and maximising the full potential of all students. Ability to motivate and inspire a passion for English in others.
- A confident and competent user of IT for teaching.
How Well Are We Doing?
• Our partnerships are enriching our experience: one example is membership of SWAT, a Trust with 11 other top performing grammar schools, which delivers huge benefits to both staff and students. As an Academy we have more control over our affairs and destiny. It is a supportive and happy place to work.
• We are one of the top performing state schools nationally and, for the past 3 years, we have received a written letter of congratulations from the Minister for Schools for our high Progress scores.
• We were the Sunday Times South West State School of the Year 2019 and we are the top school in Devon and Cornwall 2020 in the Real Schools Guide.
• We were inspected by Ofsted in September 2011 and they judged us to be outstanding in all 22 key judgements and hence Outstanding overall. They wrote in the report that “Staff morale is very high”; the recent staff well-being and workload survey confirms this.
• 95%+ of pupils go on to top universities with some 10+ applying to Oxford or Cambridge each year. The School is extremely fortunate in attracting and retaining staff of the highest quality.
• We have a major focus on our 10 Habits to help live a big, long happy and healthy life for both staff and students; this has drawn interest in the national press (TES) and at the ministerial level. Our political efforts to give students a voice in Climate change have had influence nationally and internationally. We are UK Parliament School of the Year 2020.
TGGS is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
To apply please click ‘Quick Apply’ and, once fully completed, please submit your application.
For questions about the application process: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Noon, Monday 19th April 2021
Interviews: w/c 26th April 2021
References will be taken up for all shortlisted applicants, and the successful candidate will be subject to an Enhanced DBS Disclosure and other employment checks.
Torquay Girls' Grammar School
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Girls school with students of age 11 - 18 years
Torquay Girls' Grammar School is the Sunday Times South West Secondary School of the Year 2019, UK Parliament School of the Year 2020 and The Real Schools Guide 'Best School in Devon & Cornwall' 2020.