“To be or not to be…?” A great English teacher that is.
Whether you’re looking for your first teaching job as an NQT or you have been teaching English for decades, to be truly ‘great’ you need an environment in which pupils genuinely want to learn. An environment in which your colleagues are as geeky about your subject as you are.
We need a talented teacher of English who has the passion to provide pupils with the best possible experience of this fascinating subject. Could it be you?
With our unparalleled professional development opportunities, you will be able to progress in your career, whatever stage you are at. For instance, if you are currently training and looking for a school which nurtures NQTs, we can guarantee you a tailored programme of support which goes well above and beyond to make sure you thrive. We also operate a fully-funded Masters programme which is open to all.
Our teachers work very hard but they only ever do work which is going to make a difference for our pupils. Quite simply, we believe in common sense approaches to everything. That means:
- Our teachers do minimal marking. Why spend ages with a red pen when there are much better ways to give pupils the feedback they need?
- We never ask for lesson plans. Of any kind. Ever.
- Although schemes of work and resources are provided, they are not prescriptive – we cherish individual approaches to delivery.
- There is no pressure to ‘put on a show’ in lessons: A culture of typicality is reinforced by no lesson gradings (outstanding, good, etc).
- Everyone has the highest expectations of behaviour, with all staff (not just teaching staff) reinforcing those expectations.
- A clear system of sanctions is applied consistently so staff don’t have to battle with pupils.
- Senior Leadership are very visible and all staff ‘own’ their corridors.
- CPD is tailored specifically to staff needs, based off their feedback. This includes a fully funded Masters programme available to everyone.
- There are no prizes for looking busy or staying late – we work in a way that suits us we make sure you make time for ourselves and our families.
That’s just 9 of the things we do to secure our teachers’ well-being. There are many more here: http://www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk/47-things-we-do-staff-well-being/
“Words, words, words,” you might be thinking (and, in the process, paraphrasing Shakespeare). All adverts say roughly the same thing don’t they? That’s why we urge you to visit us in person or remotely. There’s a real buzz about the place which no amount of words can convey, so please come to see Barr Beacon School for yourself.
Closing date: Wednesday 3rd February 2021
Early applications welcome
Barr Beacon School
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years