January 19 is the deadline for applications and we will do our best to contact all applicants as soon as possible with the latest news regarding this vacancy. Thank you for your understanding.
The Kumon Leysin Academy of Switzerland (KLAS), a coeducational boarding high school for Japanese students, is seeking an experienced and qualified teacher of Art.
Founded in 1990, KLAS is a coeducational boarding high school for Japanese nationals. It is accredited by, and follows a curriculum approved by, the Japanese Ministry of Education, but particular emphasis is put on the study of English, and this includes the study of art in English.
Art classes at KLAS currently consist of a mandatory class for all 10th graders, an elective class for 11th graders, and an elective AP Studio Art class for 12th graders.
The successful candidate will teach all those classes, as well as possibly some EFL classes (Grammar, Reading, Oral or Writing) depending on class hours. As well as teaching those classes, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• reporting to the Head of English
• evaluating students up to 5 times a year
• writing reports to parents up to five times a year
• following an existing syllabus
At KLAS, we have a proud tradition of staging a musical every year, and the Art teacher will also be responsible for coordinating the set and props, with the assistance of a team of students.
Furthermore, standard boarding school responsibilities for all teaching staff at KLAS include, but are not limited to:
• overnight dorm supervision (about once a month)
• supervision of students on restriction (about once a year)
• supervision of school trips
• pastoral care of students in the form of a faculty family "parent"
• supervision of a club, often involving time on a weekend
• supervision of a sports activity, usually once a week after school
An understanding of and appreciation for Japanese culture is certainly advantageous, but the successful candidate is not expected to have any knowledge of the Japanese language.
This is a wonderful opportunity for an internationally-minded person who enjoys teaching and inspiring students, whil at the same time having interaction with those and different students in various extra-curricular events typical of a boarding school, all in the breathtaking beauty of the Swiss Alps.
The starting date is July 5, 2021 with classes starting a week later. For further details or to send a cover letter and CV, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Kumon Leysin Academy of Switzerland (KLAS)
Route de Versmont 6, 1854 Leysin, Switzerland
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 15 - 18 years