Teacher of Geography
Full Time - Required for September 2019
We are seeking an enthusiastic, dynamic and innovative colleague to join our team of committed professionals within the Geography Department for September 2019. A passion for the subject and the desire to inspire able, creative and motivated students along with the ability to teach Geography at A level is essential. This is an excellent opportunity for the right person to join this outstanding school.
Maidstone Grammar School for Girls is a very successful selective girls’ school of over 1200 students with a mixed sixth form of approximately 320. The post offers the opportunity to work with intellectually able young people in a supportive and friendly environment. Staff benefits include strong support for professional development, as well as the opportunity to further develop as a subject specialist and healthcare scheme.
“Maidstone Grammar School for Girls is an outstanding school” (Ofsted)
Full details and an application pack are available from the school’s website www.mggs.org Applicants should complete our application form and email, along with covering letter, to the Headteacher’s PA. If you require any additional information please contact Ms Starns, PA to the Headteacher via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 8am Monday, 21st January 2019
Interview Date: Monday, 28th January 2019
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expect all staff to share this commitment.
TEACHER OF GEOGRAPHY
Qualifications • Graduate with good honours degree
• Good secondary school qualifications
• Qualified teacher status
Personal qualities • Passion for Geography and an ability to share this with others
• Capacity for hard work and high expectations of self and students
• An ability to relate well to colleagues and students
• Ability to work well as part of a team and contribute to department resources
• Ability to initiate ideas, set targets and meet own and other people’s deadlines
• Generosity of spirit
• Willingness to contribute to extra-curricular activities
Knowledge and skills • Strong teaching skills
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to identify and address underachievement in the subject, including of the most able
• Excellent ICT skills
• Ability to address the needs of individuals
• Good organisational skills
• Ability to offer another subject eg History or Religious Studies
• Ability to teach both human and physical Geography at A level
Experience and training • Experience of teaching the subject at secondary school level (as a teacher or PGCE student)
• Experience of teaching A level Geography
• Willingness to take part in professional development
• Some experience of teaching able students at secondary school level, either as a qualified or as a student teacher
A list of qualities required always looks daunting. However, we would like to reassure you that we are realistic, and more interested in you as a whole person rather than in a tick-list of your attributes. It is not expected that you will have had the opportunity to develop each of the skills to the same level. Please use the statement in support of your application as an opportunity to tell us about your strengths, or the elements of your work of which you are most proud, and the ways in which you could make a contribution to this school. Thank you.