THE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MILAN
is seeking to appoint a
Teacher of Secondary Geography
to join us in September 2019
Candidates should be a well-qualified geographer, committed to high standards, interested in using innovative approaches to learning and enthusiastic about promoting international understanding. IB experience is an advantage but as training will be given, not a necessity. As the amount of geography will be smaller than a full timetable, the ability to offer another subject would be a distinct advantage (PE would be particularly welcome).
As interviews will be held on a rolling basis via Skype and face-to-face in mid/late May. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Founded in 1958, ISM caters for over 900 students from more than 60 nationalities. Our present campus opened in September 2013, incorporates a theatre, swimming pool and full-size gymnasium as well as specialist classrooms, labs, libraries, arts and music areas. All of our sections are fully authorised for International Baccalaureate (IB) programmes – Primary Years Programme (PYP) from Kindergarten to Grade 6; Middle Years Programme (MYP) from Grades 7 to 11; Diploma Programme (DP) in Grades 12 and 13. ISM is the most established IB world school in Italy and has an excellent record of results in the Diploma averaging 34/35 points. In addition, in 2017 we opened our Boarding school which has added immensely to the sense of family at ISM.
Our host city
Milan has long been considered the dynamo of the Italian economy and the country’s most cosmopolitan and forward-looking city. Located near the heart of Europe, it is extremely well-connected with three major airports and easy road and rail inks across the country and the continent. Although Milan is a busy commercial centre, the artistic and cultural heritage of Italy is prominent, from galleries and theatres, to its fame as a global focus for fashion, design, nightlife, cuisine and lifestyle. There is a history of sporting excellence and its location near the mountains, lakes and the Mediterranean Sea make it ideal for sporting activities as well as its renowned professional teams.
We are seeking to appoint a teacher of Geography to join the school team. As a teacher in the school the successful candidate would complement the work of the excellent and supportive Individual and Societies department. The ideal candidate would be interested in teaching a range of abilities across the entire secondary school age range.
Essential characteristics for ISM applicants:
- to be in possession of a university degree in a related subject and an appropriate teaching qualification
- to have had recent experience teaching the subject within the 11-19 age range
- to be enthusiastic and passionate teachers/leaders. A love of the subject and the ability to convey this successfully to students is essential.
- to be an EU passport holder or already be in possession of a valid visa that enables to work in Italy.
Why work with us?
• A knowledgeable and talented staff body committed to supporting the very best in student achievement.
• IB professional development during employment
• A competitive salary
• 30 hours of free Italian language tuition
• Support settling in to Italy with our Relocation Agents
• Free lunches cooked freshly by our on-site team.
• 75% discount on tuition fees for teachers’ children
• The largest international campus in Italy and a school where teachers are respected as professionals and afforded autonomy to teach in the most innovative and effective ways.
• Possibility of living rent free in our Boarding school.
• Possibility of Grade coordinator role for the right candidate.
More information about the school can be found on our website at: https://www.internationalschoolofmilan.it
or our TES employer page at:
The school is one of several very successful Italian schools belonging to ISE (International School of Europe) which in turn is part of Inspired (www.inspirededu.co.uk), a worldwide network of premium schools offering global best practice and professional development.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should complete the standard TES application form via the TES “apply now/quick apply” link. When completing this application form, it is particularly important that candidates include the following:
• Supporting Statement (within the box provided) which clearly outlines why you are interested in the role and in the school;
• CV with photo (as an attached supporting document);
• Contact details of three referees (within the box provided), one of which must be the Head/Director from current/most recent appointment.
If there are any questions please feel free to contact the Headmaster at email@example.com
The person appointed will be expected to start work for induction on 23rd August 2019, before which date a criminal records check will need to be completed as part of our safer recruitment and child safeguarding policies.