Downside School is looking to appoint a talented, inspiring Teacher of German, starting in January 2018, to teach 12 periods per week for two terms. Downside is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school for pupils aged 11 to 18, and one of England’s oldest and most distinguished Catholic schools. The school is situated at the foot of the Mendip Hills, twelve miles south of the city of Bath.
It is essential that you are an effective team member who can help to promote German and Modern Languages via academic enrichment, and are willing to seek opportunities to develop teaching and learning within your subject. Candidates will be passionate about teaching pupils of the highest calibre up to and including Oxbridge entrance level. Our latest ISI inspection report states that ‘the quality of pupils’ achievement and learning is excellent’ and ‘the quality of teaching is excellent overall’. As a boarding School, all our Teachers engage fully in co-curricular activities and the boarding life of the School.
We are looking for someone who:
· Demonstrates excellent subject knowledge and a passion for German
· Has an ability to teach at all levels up to and including University entrance
· Can engender an atmosphere within lessons, which is conducive to active learning and encourages pupils to learn collaboratively
· Inspires and motivates pupils to strive for the best
· Is committed to their own professional development
· Enjoys working within a team
· Embraces our Benedictine catholic ethos
We can offer:
· Motivated, hard-working pupils
· An intellectually rewarding learning environment
· A supportive, skilled and innovative staff team
· Plenty of opportunities for CPD, and pastoral and co-curricular involvement
· Pay above the national scale
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 21st June 2017, by 10am
Interviews to be carried out: Monday 26th June 2017
The role is offered on an 8 month Fixed Term Contract for the Lent and Summer Terms. To apply, please complete an application form which can be downloaded and submitted through an applicant tracking system on our ‘Working With Us' page: http://www.downside.co.uk/working-with-us/ Please contact the recruitment email address if you require further information after reading the application pack.
Downside School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the DBS. We are an equal opportunities employer. By car, we are within 40 minutes of Bristol, 30 minutes of Bath and 15 minutes of Wells. Registered Charity Number: 1158507