Located in the beautiful town of Tervuren, near the university city of Leuven, BSB is a not for profit, inclusive fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke curriculum with integrated learning themes that are inquiry based and skills driven. Whilst British-based, it is uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and multicultural student body. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for (I)GCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. BSB has outstanding facilities and is the only international school in Belgium to have its own 25m indoor swimming pool. With an excellent record of academic achievement, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe.
We are looking for an inspirational, highly motivated teacher, committed to challenging and enthusing our students, to join a very successful Faculty of Human Social and Political Sciences and teach History and Geography students aged 11-14 in Years 7-9.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent practitioner who is keen to motivate and inspire students and to play an active role in the life of our school.
The successful candidate will have had previous experience teaching at secondary level, ideally in the British system, internationally and/or in the UK. We expect applicants to have a suitable degree and a recognised teaching qualification.
The successful applicant will:
- set the highest standards in terms of learning and teaching, getting the very best from students from all backgrounds and of all abilities;
- work closely with department colleagues in creating a sense of cohesion and collaborative spirit within the department and co-operate with colleagues in the faculty, other departments and the Primary School;
- be appreciative of students’ differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds;
- be prepared and able to contribute materially to curriculum development in the department;
- be actively involved in professional learning within the school, department and faculty, and across departments where opportunities arise, including after-school meetings, relevant courses and professional learning days;
- have good IT skills professionally and pedagogically;
- be able utilise Assessment for Learning and e-learning approaches and to make effective and appropriate use of technology to ensure all students enjoy and achieve success;
- be willing and able to contribute wholeheartedly to the social and personal development of students and to the extra-curricular life of the school, including a willingness to take an active part in school trips, both residential and day visits.
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Open mindedness and welcoming of otherness
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students.
In return, we offer:
- A part-time (+/- 35%), temporary contract for 1 school year
- An interesting position in a thriving school in an international environment
- Excellent professional learning opportunities
- Attractive salary (BSB Learning & Teaching scale – Band 4 representing a minimum of € 48.139 and maximum € 87.356 gross per year for a full-time employment and pro-rated for a part-time employment and depending on the years of relevant experience) and extra-legal benefits including hospitalisation insurance, extra pension payments, luncheon vouchers and free use of the BSB sport facilities.
The deadline for applications is 25 April 2018 at 16.00 (CET). Please note that only applications sent in via the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
Interviews will be held at the school and this process will include a sample lesson and opportunities to meet potential colleagues and students.
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.”