ST MARY’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Newcastle upon Tyne
Executive Headteacher: J Foster NOR c.1400
Teacher of History
Main or Upper Pay Range
Required for September 2019
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Teacher of History to contribute to our flourishing History department. This post should appeal to both recently qualified teachers or to more experienced candidates, looking to develop further in an outstanding school. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone wishing to join an outstanding department and a highly successful and forward thinking school.
St Mary’s is a very popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,100 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 200, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years.
In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, History is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:-
- 41% of a large GCSE History cohort achieved a Grade 7-9 in 2018, with 68% achieving Grade 5 or higher. These results were significantly above the national average.
- 40% A*/A in GCSE History in 2017, and 87% A*-C.
- Outstanding Progress as part of the GCSE Humanities Value Added score, which was in the top 5 schools, out of 150 schools in the North East in 2018 and the highest in the North East in 2017.
- 85% of A Level History students achieved A*-B in 2018 and 100% got A*-C. 83% A*-B was also achieved in 2017.
- Outstanding A Level progress score in 2018 which was significantly above national expectations.
Leadership, teaching and the climate for learning in History are all outstanding.
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a teacher with:-
- A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
- A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
- A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
- An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
- The ability to promote a love of learning History in our students
Application packs are available to download here, from our school website, or by e-mailing the Director of Finance and Support Services, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require any further information about the post, please do not hesitate to contact Emma Patterson, Head of School or Suzanne Fisher, Senior Assistant Headteacher on 0191 215 3260.
Closing date: 9.00am on Wednesday 22nd May 2019. Interviews will be held on Friday 24th May 2019, before half-term.
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.