The David Nieper Academy is a newly formed academy in Alfreton, Derbyshire. A brand-new school building opened in early 2017 with the Sixth Form Centre opened in September 2017. A key aspect of our vision is our focus on applied learning within all subject areas and across all year groups. We have seen an increase in student numbers within each year group and we are looking to build on this year on year. This is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key component in the development of the new academy.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint a teacher of Humanities to continue our excellent work in these areas.
The successful candidate must be able to:
• plan and deliver outstanding lessons that engage and motive students
• work well as part of a team
• embrace the co-curricula and extra curricula aspects of the academy
• have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• have a ‘can-do’ attitude; be highly organised and
• have the ability to work under pressure.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Candidates should indicate an acceptance of, and a commitment to, the Academy’s policies in relation to equality and safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Teacher of Humanities
To provide highly effective teaching of Humanities with a main specialism of Geography to include additional humanities teaching, contributing to the ongoing development of the Faculty. The Humanities faculty consists of Geography, History, RE, PSHCE, Citizenship and MFL (French) across all key stages. To be a full and contributing member of the Humanities Faculty and the Academy.
The Humanities Faculty currently encompasses a wide range of subjects including:
Key stage 3 & 4 & 5 Geography
Key stage 3 & 4 History
Key stage 3 & 4 RE core and GCSE
Key stage 3 & 4 & 5 PSHCE and Citizenship
Key stage 3 & 4 French
Key stage 4 & 5 Business Studies
Key stage 4 &5 Health & Social Care
Key stage 5 Sociology
Due to the rapid expansion of the academy we are currently looking for a colleague to teach Key stage 3 and GCSE Geography with A level Geography in future years, with the ability to offer additional subjects at Key stage 3 and possibly other key stages.
The Humanities Faculty at David Nieper Academy
The Humanities faculty at David Nieper Academy includes geography, history, religious studies, MFL, PSHE/citizenship and sociology. Despite its wide variety of subjects, the faculty works very closely together and shares a common ethos when it comes to education. Our view is that every single young person – regardless of their background – is entitled to access the rich body of knowledge that characterises the disciplines we represent. We firmly believe that it is from this rigorous knowledge-led foundation that students are best-equipped to succeed in the applied learning opportunities that we are committed to providing here at David Nieper Academy. As such, successful candidates would be joining a faculty that:
• Is committed to developing innovative, research-informed teaching based on knowledge of how children learn
• Celebrates explicit instruction as an approach to teaching that supports the fostering of students’ knowledge acquisition, independence and criticality skills
• Is self-reflective and constantly striving to improve the key principles of our practice (namely: review, acquire, question, model, practice, assess and feedback)
• Is newly and fully resourced after a recent curriculum over-haul
• Has a ‘warm but strict’ approach to discipline where expectations are high
• Is highly supportive and enjoys a strong sense of collegiality and humour
Overall, this is an immensely exciting time to join this thriving and growing faculty on our drive to improve results. Our knowledge-led approach is proving to be more popular than ever amongst students. For example, geography continues to be the most popular of all our GCSE options in the academy, whilst history, religious studies and French began the current academic year with their largest GCSE intakes in a number of years. If you have any further questions about our Faculty, please do get in touch.
• To teach Geography across key stage 3 & 4 and in future years 5
• To teach additional subjects at key stage 3 and possibly key stage 4
• To be a form tutor
• To contribute to the co-curricular life of the school
• Participate in the academy Performance Management arrangements
Teaching and Learning
• Plan and teach engaging and challenging lessons that pave the way for success in school and life
• Meet the needs of all learners by consistently planning and teaching carefully differentiated lessons
• Contribute to Faculty planning and the creation and updating of schemes of work
• Use regular, measurable and significant assessments of teaching
• Set and mark appropriate homework
• Complete all reporting on time
• Closely monitor progress and attainment of all students and use it to inform teaching
• Provide content for and, where necessary, deliver high quality student interventions with direction from the Head of Faculty
• Work to ensure that all students achieve or exceed targets
• Maintain regular and productive communication with parents about their child’s progress, behaviour and development, including attending after school parent meetings as required
• Undertake professional development as agreed with academy leaders
• Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school as directed by the Headteacher.
• Free access to BUPA Employee Assistance Programme
• Free onsite Parking
• Generous discount at the David Nieper Ltd factory shop
David Nieper Academy
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
David Nieper Academy is a co-educational secondary academy, formerly known as Alfreton Grange Art College. The school itself was first established in 1939, and adopted its current name in 2016 following its conversion into an academy. The school is c...