Teacher of Mathematics
David Nieper Academy, Grange Street, Alfreton, Derbyshire, DE55 7JA
Age Range – 11-18
Full time position
Would suit a newly qualified teacher or more experienced teacher
Responsible to Head of Maths Faculty
Start: September 2018
Salary: Main scale/UPS
The David Nieper Academy is a newly formed academy in Alfreton, Derbyshire. A brand new school building opened in early 2017 with the Sixth Form Centre opened in September 2017. A key aspect of our vision is our focus on applied learning within all subject areas and across all year groups. We are currently a small school of 406 and are looking to rapidly build to our capacity of 850. This year we have seen an increase in student numbers within each year group and we are looking to build on this year on year. This is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key component in the development of the new academy.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint an excellent teacher of Mathematics to continue the work of this faculty.
The successful candidate must be able to:
· plan and deliver outstanding lessons that engage and motive students
· work well as part of a team
· embrace the co-curricula and extra curricula aspects of the academy
· have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· have a ‘can-do’ attitude; be highly organised and
· have the ability to work under pressure.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
To provide highly effective teaching of Maths across all key stages, contributing to the ongoing development of the Faculty. To be a full and contributing member of the Maths Faculty and the Academy.
The Maths faculty is working hard to develop pupils’ confidence in their mathematical abilities to ensure that pupils leave the academy fluent in numerical skills and able to achieve strong outcomes in GCSE Mathematics.
· To teach Maths across all key stages
· To be a form tutor
· To contribute to the co-curricular life of the school
· Participate in the academy Performance Management arrangements
Teaching and Learning
· Plan and teach engaging and challenging lessons that pave the way for success in school and life
· Meet the needs of all learners by consistently planning and teaching carefully differentiated lessons
· Contribute to Faculty planning and the creation and updating of schemes of work
· Use regular, measurable and significant assessments of teaching
· Set and mark appropriate homework
· Complete all reporting on time
· Closely monitor progress and attainment of all students and use it to inform teaching
· Provide content for and, where necessary, deliver high quality student interventions with direction from the Head of Faculty
· Work to ensure that all students achieve or exceed targets
· Maintain regular and productive communication with parents about their child’s progress, behaviour and development, including attending after school parent meetings as required
· Undertake professional development as agreed with academy leaders
· Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school as directed by the Headteacher.
· Good Honours Degree in Maths or closely related subject
· Recognised Teaching Qualification
· Additional qualifications
· Pastoral related qualifications
· Experience of successful teaching of Maths at Key stage 3 and 4
· Evidence of continually improving teaching and learning
· Experience of successful pastoral and /or progress and achievement leadership
· Experience of a pastoral role within school
· Experience in more than one school
· Excellent classroom practitioner
· Good communication, planning and organisational skills
· Commitment to regular and on-going professional development and training to establish outstanding classroom practice.
· Experience of data tracking
· Knowledge of curriculum reforms
· A strong team player
· Good sense of humour