The Kumon Leysin Academy of Switzerland (KLAS), a coeducational boarding high school for Japanese students, is seeking an experienced and qualified teacher of Mathematics and Physics that can also teach some EFL classes if required. Experience of teaching AP Calculus is a definite advantage.
Founded in 1990, KLAS is a coeducational boarding high school for Japanese nationals. It is accredited by, and follows a curriculum approved by, the Japanese Ministry of Education, but particular emphasis is put on the study of English. Those students who want to improve their English at a faster and more advanced rate take most classes in English, and next year this includes an 11th grade physics class, an 11th grade elective precalculus class, a 12th grade elective AP Calculus class and a 12th grade physics class.
The successful candidate will teach all those classes, as well as possibly some EFL classes (Grammar, Reading, Oral Communication or Writing). As well as teaching those classes, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• reporting to the Head of English
• evaluating students up to 5 times a year
• writing reports to parents up to five times a year
• following an existing syllabus and set text
• working with colleagues who teach the same course within the same grade
Furthermore, standard boarding school responsibilities for all teaching staff at KLAS include, but are not limited to:
• overnight dorm supervision (about once a month)
• supervision of students on restriction (about once a year)
• supervision of school trips
• pastoral care of students in the form of a faculty family "parent"
• supervision of a club, often on a weekend
• supervision of a sports activity, usually once a week after school
An understanding of and appreciation for Japanese culture is certainly advantageous, but the successful candidate is not expected to have any knowledge of the Japanese language.
This is a wonderful opportunity for an internationally-minded person who enjoys teaching students and working with them on their future goals, while at the same time having interaction with those and different students in various extra-curricular events typical of a boarding school, all in the breathtaking beauty of the Swiss Alps.
The starting date is July 6, 2020 with classes starting a week later. For further details or to send a cover letter and CV, please contact email@example.com