We are a highly successful, community mixed comprehensive school with Teaching School status in a pleasant rural setting only 5 miles from the centre of Cambridge. We currently have around 1800 11-18 pupils on roll including our sixth form centre that opened in September 2011.
Our pupils are well motivated, staff morale is excellent and examination results at KS4 are outstanding: in summer 2019 the total grades at 9-7/A*-A were 48%, 9-4/A*-C were 87% with 83% of pupils achieving at least a grade 4 in English and maths. Our Progress 8 figure in 2018 was +0.56 which placed us amongst the best secondary schools in the country. At KS5, the Sixth Form’s results are in the top 5% nationally for student progress made against predictors, with 31% of all grades in 2019 at A*/A grades. The school has consistently been rated by Ofsted as Outstanding over very many years.
We are seeking to appoint an excellent teacher to join our vibrant and friendly maths department. Our philosophy is to play to the strengths in our team: we have colleagues who are involved with NRICH and the teaching of problem solving; others specialise in sixth-form teaching and have attended or delivered the TAM or TFM courses. Comberton Village College is now an AMSP Partner school and an AMSP Area Coordinator is based at our college.
The department is involved with several NCETM and Maths Hub projects and have been working with ICCAMS to develop the early algebra skills in our youngest pupils. We are proud to be a teaching school and many members of the department have a significant focus on initial teacher education and continuing professional development. Experimenting with teaching techniques and ideas is encouraged with a number of members of the department being involved in research. We look forward to welcoming new team members and the ideas they bring to the department.
Attainment in maths is exceptional: 86% of pupils were awarded at least a grade 4 at GCSE, with 48% awarded at least grade 7 and 18% gaining the highest grade 9. At KS5, 35% of pupils were awarded at least a grade A and 77% of pupils awarded at least a grade C.
For suitably experienced candidates, we are able to offer the opportunity to teach lessons at Comberton Sixth Form. This could be teaching a class from our large cohort of A Level Maths or Further Maths pupils. As early adopters of the Core Maths qualification you could also teach this exciting new course.
We have a strong track record of supporting and developing our teaching staff. Our programme includes:
- Continuing support for those in their RQT years through a guaranteed place on the highly-rated Developing Effecting Teaching programme. This includes four days of specialist pedagogic support and observation opportunities.
- RQTs also benefit from additional non-contact time that can be used for coaching, observation and co-planning with an identified coach drawn from the experienced staff in the maths department.
- For experienced teachers the school appreciates the need for time out to reflect on what makes excellent practice. Teachers are offered a place on the Developing Outstanding Teaching programme which features four days looking at high-level skills and strategies for the classroom including a focus on how coaching and mentoring can develop other colleagues and lead change in the department.
- Many of our maths teachers have been supported to complete their Master’s in Education degree.
- Access to the development opportunities offered through our teaching school alliance (camteach.org.uk) and our Maths Hub (cambridgemathshub.org).
- A school-issued laptop and where possible a classroom base for KS3/KS4 lessons.
This is an exciting time to join our maths department: The Cam Academy Trust are proud to be the base for the Cambridge Maths Hub. In this role we are helping every school and college access locally-tailored and quality support to develop the teaching and learning of mathematics. Many new members of the Comberton maths department have gone on to lead workgroups for the Maths Hub.
For further details and an application form please visit our website www.combertonvc.org.
To apply for this position please submit a completed application form and covering letter to Mrs L Atherton, HR Manager, via email on email@example.com by 9am on Monday, 9th December 2019..