The English College in Prague is looking to appoint a Teacher of Mathematics. The applicant would be expected to teach Mathematics up to KS5 / IB, and the ability to teach another subject up to KS3 would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will have experience of working in an academically aspirational school or the desire to do so. Ideally, they will have knowledge of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. Previous IB teaching experience is preferable but not essential as all the necessary IB training will be provided. Experience shows us that a flexible and resourceful A-Level teacher will be able to deliver the IB syllabus effectively. Structured and well-resourced schemes of work are in place for all of our courses, and the successful candidate will receive support from our experienced Heads of Faculty, but we also encourage input and innovation from all members of staff as they deliver their lessons. Very importantly, the successful candidate will be interested in in-school pedagogical development. All teachers in the school are intensively involved in cross-curricular teaching and learning activities, such as classroom-based action research groups, personal research projects and mutual observations. A strong interest and desire to connect with and learn from other colleagues is essential.
The right candidate will be joining a diverse and dedicated team who maintain a dynamic learning and extra-curricular environment in which the needs and talents of the individual student are recognised and nurtured.
About our School
We are an unusual, exciting and academic HMC secondary school educating both Czech and international students that is committed to fostering good relationships. While we prepare our students for a small number of core IGCSEs, and Common European Framework language exams, our main focus is on delivering success in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and the Czech Maturita qualification. Each year, our graduates go on to study at universities in the UK (usually including Oxbridge), continental Europe and occasionally, Asia and North America. The majority of our teachers are native speakers of English, immersing our students in the language as authentically spoken and supporting their own language development, and our teaching style is typically that found in the best British schools. We offer the successful candidate adventure, challenge, permanent contracts and good remuneration in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. For further information including a description of living and working in the Czech Republic, please visit the English College in Prague website via this link.
We are looking for someone with:
- A genuine understanding of the importance of establishing and maintaining good relationships for effective learning and academic leadership.
- A creative, student-centred approach to teaching Mathematics, combining engagement with academic rigour and an understanding of the importance of a problem-solving approach to the subject.
- A passion for educating, inspiring and understanding children and a belief that every child can succeed.
- A commitment to professionalism and the desire to be part of an HMC school with a prestigious history and an important role to play in providing all students with an internationally-minded liberal education.
- A love of learning and a commitment to continuing to learn, through classroom-based research, collaboration and peer observation.
- The desire to work proactively within teams, exchanging ideas and sharing resources, but who is also able to infuse their teaching with their own personality and style.
- A willingness to participate in relevant IB training and internally-arranged professional development, including contributing to training sessions where appropriate.
- The ability to participate holistically in the life of a busy and ambitious school, through pastoral support and co-curricular activities (such as supporting school clubs or student charity work).
- The resilience, flexibility and sense of humour required to work abroad, with both the great benefits and minor challenges that it presents.
- A particular interest in getting to know Prague and the Czech Republic, its people, its culture and language.
Job Specification Overview:
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience teaching Mathematics up to Key Stage 5 or IB.
- Have a degree directly relevant to Mathematics.
- Have experience (or confidence in) teaching another subject up to Key Stage 3.
- Have a PGCE and have already obtained Qualified Teacher Status - although QTS training for appropriately experienced and qualified candidates is possible.
- We offer assistance, both practical and financial, for those moving to the Czech Republic.
- An exceptionally well-resourced CPD environment with career development opportunities, in Europe and the UK.
- We usually fly successful candidates out in the term prior to taking up their appointment for an acquaintance visit.
- The College contributes to a Czech supplementary pension scheme and employees enjoy the generous arrangements of the Czech health and social security system.
- We offer subsidised lunches, international ITIC membership (which offers discounts), full access to the Czech National Technical Library’s physical and online resources and a Multisport card giving subsidised access to many sports locations in and around Prague.
Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure and References Statement
The English College in Prague is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people and expects the same from its employees. All new staff will be subject to a police check, ICPC or similar, depending on their country of origin or previous employment. Identity checks, employment checks and qualifications checks all form a non-negotiable part of the recruitment process. Any gaps in employment will be examined and we will require at least two references, including one from your most recent Headteacher. Safeguarding and child protection training is given on arrival and the induction process also assiduously follows UK best practice in this area.
How to apply:
Fill in the ECP Application Form which you can download after clicking at Apply Now and send it to the Headmaster, Dr. Nigel Brown, at email@example.com, with a short covering letter. Please include a complete career history as well as the names, email addresses and telephone numbers of two referees, including your current or most recent Headteacher. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted either by Skype, or in person in London or Prague (travel expenses will be reimbursed), depending on the circumstances.
English College in Prague
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 13 - 19 years