Surbiton High School’s outstanding Mathematics Department seeks a Teacher of Mathematics who is passionate about inspiring, encouraging and empowering our pupils in the subject.
Surbiton High School is a friendly and vibrant community where people matter, results count and where a passion for excellence drives everything we do. Our inspirational staff are dedicated to creating an intellectually rigorous and challenging academic environment, making Surbiton High School a place where a passion and energy abound, a school with a real heart and soul, where we look beyond the A* to offer a breadth of opportunity which allows every pupil and staff member to flourish.
Reporting line: Head of Mathematics
Tenure: Permanent, Full-Time
- To possess and maintain a deep and secure knowledge of your subject and the pedagogy associated with its teaching.
- To create a challenging and stimulating classroom climate that will motivate pupils to learn, think independently, take risks, empathise with others, and perform to the best of their abilities.
- To be aware of the learning needs of the pupils you teach and ensure that each pupil is given every opportunity to fulfil their potential.
- To monitor progress against prior attainment and employ effective intervention strategies when required
- To follow the guidance and schemes of work provided by the Head of Department.
- To undertake the preparation, marking and report writing, in line with the School policies, required to ensure that pupils achieve the highest possible standards.
- To conduct yourself in an appropriate professional manner at all times and support and foster the aims and safeguarding policies of the School
- To be prepared to be a form tutor. All staff are required to take on the role of Form Tutor, which will encompass academic, pastoral and administrative responsibilities. The Tutors have oversight of their tutees’ general well-being and academic progress, and they are the main point of contact for parents
- To contribute, as appropriate, to departmental policies, schemes of work, digital learning and other resources as well as development planning.
- To attend relevant CPD training each year.
- To teach Mathematics across all age ranges up to and including A-level Maths and Further Maths.
- There may be particular responsibilities linked to the subject that may be added when necessary
- To contribute to the organisation and running of co-curricular and enrichment activities.
- To uphold the School’s code of conduct and the values of Surbiton High School.
- To maintain good order and discipline amongst pupils and be active in implementing the School’s policies on rewards and sanctions
- To attend formal parents’ evenings and communicate with parents, at other times, as necessary
- To carry out any such duties as may be reasonably requested by the Principal
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Good Honours degree
- A postgraduate teaching qualification (QTS desirable but not essential)
- Evidence of further relevant professional development would be an advantage
- Have a vision for and the ability to translate the Surbiton High School strategy into reality
- Excellent organizational, administrative and ICT skills
- A proven track record of delivering on academic performance
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life, with a can-do attitude
- Ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- Committed to Surbiton High School’s ethos
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
- Committed to representing the strategic vision for the School
- Ambitious and aspirational for oneself and for the School
- Committed to professional development and show a willingness to undertake appropriate training for this role
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com
Please apply online by clicking on the following:
Closing date for Applications: 8:00am, Monday 27 April 2020
Interview to be held week commencing: 3 February 2020
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.