Teacher of Mathematics, part-time
Around 0.6 timetable (around 19 periods)
Start September 2018
Location: South Manchester
Withington Girls’ School, based in South Manchester, is a leading independent day school for girls aged 7 to 18 in which some of the best academic results in the country are achieved within a lively, happy and caring environment.
The Mathematics Department currently consists of four full-time members of staff (including the Head of Department), and four part-time staff, all of whom are passionate about Mathematics.
As in all subjects at Withington, excellent examination results are the result of the combination of the girls’ high academic ability and the intellectually stimulating and rigorous manner in which they are taught. All the girls are taught beyond National Curriculum expectations; the Department believes strongly in enrichment, diversity and extension, rather than acceleration. In all our teaching, we aim to build confidence, enthusiasm and self-motivation in our pupils.
Teamwork plays an important role within the Department; the staff strive to enhance the quality of teaching and learning by sharing good practice, resources and ideas. A warm and supportive atmosphere that makes our work both fun and rewarding balances the dedication, diligence and high expectations shared by the Department.
We are looking for someone to join this exceptional team; we would like someone who shares our vision, is passionate about Mathematics and can convey interest and enthusiasm for the subject throughout the School. The pupils currently sit the Edexcel IGCSE(9-1) at the end of Year 11, with just over half the Year group also sitting the AQA Further Mathematics Level 2 Qualification. Mathematics is the most popular A-level choice at Withington, with well over half of the cohort studying single Mathematics, and usually around 10 students opting to study both Mathematics and Further Mathematics. Results from the Department are consistently high. In 2017, 91% of Year 11 achieved A* grades in their GCSE examination, 38 girls also achieved an A* in the AQA Further Maths examination, 18 with distinction. At A level in 2017, 89% (41 girls) achieved grades A*-B with 39% of the grades being at A*. In Further Mathematics, all the pupils achieved an A* to C with 66% of grades being at A* or A.
We can offer you:
• The opportunity to join our outstanding school where public examination results consistently place Withington among the top schools in the UK, as the best independent girls school in the North West and in the top twelve in the country for university places at the most prestigious UK universities.
• Keen, committed and very able students who are positive and active learners.
• A highly diverse environment where pupils come from a wide geographical area in and around Manchester and from many different social, cultural and religious backgrounds which is a strength of the school.
• Colleagues eager to share passion and enthusiasm for their subject and an environment where the relationship between pupils and staff is a particular strength.
• A warm and friendly school where teachers are given professional respect to develop their teaching approach methodologies.
• A school which, by following the concepts of Respect for self, Respect for others and Responsibility for personal actions, has little need for formal rules.
• Excellent facilities in new and refurbished buildings, including the latest resources to support learning.
What you can offer us:
• A capable and highly enthusiastic teacher with excellent subject knowledge and a passion for everything mathematical.
• The ability to teach Mathematics to highly able pupils across KS3, GCSE level, and ‘A’ Level;
• The talent, interpersonal skills and range of teaching methods necessary to contribute to the success of the team.
• The willingness and ability to use a variety of teaching methods to suit pupils’ individual learning needs, selecting appropriate learning resources and embracing the use of new technology.
• A passion for teaching and learning that energises and inspires young people and allows them to develop the skills and motivation needed for their future lives.
• Commitment to contribute to extra-curricular events and activities in the department.
• The ability to work well independently, but also be a valuable contributor to our dynamic team.
Further details of the role and application process, can be obtained from the school’s website. Please note that this role is available to start this term, however, applications will be considered from those able to start at a later date in the academic year.
Closing date: Friday 20th April 2018, 4 pm.
Interview date to be confirmed shortly.