St Kentigern’s Academy is a Catholic secondary school situated in Blackburn, West Lothian. The school has ten associated primary schools drawing a comprehensive mix of students and serves the communities of Blackburn, Whitburn, Bathgate, Armadale, Linlithgow, Fauldhouse, West Calder, Polbeth, Stoneyburn and Addiewell. The current school roll is 1250 Students with 92 members of teaching staff including those designated to support students with additional learning needs. The school’s free meal entitlement (FME) for session 2017/2018 was 19.1%.
St Kentigern’s Academy has an excellent reputation in the local community, particularly for the high standards of conduct and confidence displayed by students. The school offers extensive opportunities for wider achievement, both for students and staff, and receives a high level of support and encouragement from parents. Attendance at parents’ evenings is good, and information and consultation exercises are well supported. The school has also just had a successful HMIe visit.
- To provide a Christian community in which all members are equally respected, are treated fairly and are supported to achieve to the best of their abilities.
- To promote the highest standards of achievement and attainment for all our Students.
- To provide a supportive learning and teaching environment and an effective curriculum that encourages each young person to develop his or her full potential academically, spiritually and socially.
- To encourage young people to develop as responsible citizens, successful learners, effective contributors and confident individuals.
- To promote effective communication and partnership between school, home, parish and the groups and agencies that support our school.
- To help young people to play a full and active part in the life of their community and to encourage participation by parents and the wider community in the life and work of the school.
- To address inequalities due to poverty and ensure equity for all our students.
The current priorities for session 2018-2019 are:
- To increase student attainment and narrow the attainment gap
- To further develop our curriculum, including improvements in employability skills leading to sustained, positive school leaver destinations for all young people:
- To further develop our approaches to supporting students health and wellbeing
- To continue to improve the quality of learner’s experiences
A relevant teaching qualification and registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland is essential.
Written approval by the Catholic Church will be required for this position. Please see www.sces.uk.com for further information.
This post is considered Regulated Work with Vulnerable Children and/or Protected Adults, under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007. Successful candidates will be required to join the Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme Update check prior to commencing employment and the cost will be met by the candidate.
The fee for a Full PVG Scheme Membership is £59 or Existing Member is £18. The £59 cost (where appropriate) will be deducted from your salary over a 1 or 3 month period by repayment schedule. If your employment concludes before the amount is re-paid in full, the outstanding balance will be deducted from your final salary.
Closing date: 23/12/2018
St Kentigern’s Academy, West Main Street, Blackburn, EH47 7LX