Summary of the overall purpose of the job
With strong GCSE results and offering GCSE and A level Music the Music department is very popular with pupils at Hatcham College. The department relies on its staff to commit to both curricular and extra-curricular music to enable as many pupils as possible to engage and benefit from the subject. We are determined that pupils are taught by individuals who are committed to their academic and practical progress and ensure that accessibility and achievement are always aspired to.
We are looking for an individual who understands that all children are entitled to be successful in this critical area of knowledge and skill. Lessons must be well planned, teaching must be consistently good or better and marking and feedback must be of a very high quality.
Key responsibilities and objectives of the job
- To actively contribute to the teaching of music across all age and ability ranges
- To consistently plan and deliver good and outstanding lessons, ensuring that a variety of teaching resources are utilised
- To devise innovative, challenging schemes of work
- To ensure that students’ work is assessed regularly and conscientiously, in accordance with the department's marking policy
- To set and mark internal examinations and tests as required
- To demonstrate good knowledge of a wide range of teaching methods and to implement these in the classroom
- To be fully committed to and actively contribute to the department enrichment activities programme
- To provide accurate information for parents as directed by the academy and to attend parents’ evenings and other presentation meetings as directed
- To be fully committed to and actively contribute to the academy house and enrichment activities programme
- To carry out the roles and responsibility of a tutor as directed by the pastoral team
General responsibilities and objectives
- To work within the academy framework with regard to Health and Safety
- To promote equal opportunities in the academy
- To actively promote the aims and ethos of the Federation / Academy
- To support the Academy’s commitment to the continued professional learning of all staff
- To undertake any additional duties as may reasonably required by the CEO or Principal
This job description reflects the core activities of the role and as the Federation and the post-holder develop there will inevitably be changes in the emphasis of duties. It is expected that the post-holder recognise this and adopt a flexible approach to work and be willing to participate in training.
If changes to the job become significant, the job description should be reviewed formally by the post-holder and line manager.