We are seeking to appoint a well-qualified, enthusiastic and dedicated Teacher of Music, with a possibility of MYP Subject Coordinator role - 1.0FTE, to start 1 August 2020.
The International School of the Hague's music team is looking to invite a new member to our exciting and innovative program. The ISH music program is characterised by an inclusive approach in which the curiosity and appreciation of a diversity of musical expression lies central. The learning needs of our students and the Middle Years program are continuously evolving and our new music colleague will join an ongoing, collaborative process of curriculum review and design in which individual expertise and know-how are valued and shared. We also offer excellent professional development opportunities that keep us up to date with the MYP and DP music curriculum. The teaching of knowledge and skills is implemented by the innovative and exciting use of technology. The successful candidate will also contribute to our co-curricular productions and a diversity of events in school and in the local community. Links to Dutch professional musicians are fostered through workshops, projects and residencies.
Please see Role and Responsibilities of a Teacher and Teacher/Subject Coordinator are available as a download below ('other document').
We are a forward thinking school and therefore we invest in potential future leaders as well as excellent teachers. We expect our teachers to be skilled in using digital tools for teaching (example: MacBook Air, Touch Screen boards and iPads). The chosen candidate will be a reflective practitioner and embrace opportunities for Continuous Professional Learning. An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate, and details can be found on the ISH recruitment page.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An excellent team player both within the department and across the school, willing to work collaboratively and support the ongoing development of the Arts department and whole school
- Proactive and have an enthusiastic approach to teaching and wider professional practice
- Willing to be involved in extracurricular activities
- Flexible and have the desire to be a part of a dynamic school community
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified Teacher with at least 3 years teaching experience.
- To be considered for the MYP Coordinator role, you must have at least 3 years of MYP specific experience
- Experience of teaching Music across Secondary age ranges
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Music
- A Bachelor or Master’s level degree in Education or Postgraduate Diploma in Education, to teach all year groups in Secondary Education. Please know that in order to work for us, you must be a fully qualified teacher in accordance with the standards required by the Dutch Education Authorities (DUO). The teaching qualification must be for the subject that you will be teaching, in order to be recognized by DUO.
- Only candidates with full teaching certification and a valid teaching license in their home country will be considered for this role.
- For applicants from the UK, you will have completed the PGCE and been awarded QTS plus successful completion of the NQT induction year
- EU citizenship or have a valid permit to work in The Netherlands.
- Experience of teaching MYP and DP Music
- Experience in using music technology
All applicants must either be EU citizens or have a valid permit to work in The Netherlands. Please note that we are not able to consider candidates who do not meet this requirement. For any further information, please visit the Government website.
Applicants are required to complete an online profile, provide a supporting statement, and upload a CV. Applicants must provide details of three referees, of which one must be their most recent supervisor. If shortlisted, we will contact referees prior to interview. For teachers, we require one from the head of school or deputy head. Once shortlisted, interviews will be conducted by Skype or in person, depending on the nature of the position and the applicant's location.
Deadline for applications is Monday, 6 April 2020. Short listed candidates will be interviewed as soon as possible. Please note that the school reserves the right to interview suitable applicants early and make an appointment prior to the deadline. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks after the deadline, then please assume that, on this occasion, your application has been unsuccessful.
The International School of the Hague is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices which are aligned to the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection. We hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection. All appointments are subject to an interview, identity checks, criminal record checks, and successful references.
To this end, the leadership team is required to conduct an oral reference check by directly contacting the current or previous employer.
Furthermore, those who are appointed at The International School of The Hague are required to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct (in Dutch: VOG). Your appointment with The Rijnlands Lyceum Foundation takes place on condition that you obtain a VOG. Needless to say, Rijnlands will reimburse all costs in relation thereto.
What we offer
Please see our brochure and FAQs regarding our Recruitment Package available under downloads below.
This is a temporary appointment for one year, with a view to a permanent contract if all the conditions are met. The position is based on the Dutch Collective Labor Agreement (CAO) for Secondary Education.
In line with local regulations, all appointments are for a fixed term of one year, with a view to extending to a permanent contract after successful appraisal. In addition, we offer excellent professional development opportunities and a pleasant working environment. As a successful applicant, you will be welcomed by an amicable, sociable and thoroughly international team.
If you are internationally-minded and have the desire to help shape the exciting future of our school, we would love to hear from you.