About the role: Mascalls Academy has a rare and exciting opportunity to appoint an enthusiastic, motivated and engaging Teacher of Music who has scope to lead the subject area. Joining us from January 2019 on a permanent, full-time basis, you will be part of our highly collaborative and dynamic team delivering this subject. Music is thriving at Mascalls Academy; we have a cohort of over 40 students in Key Stage 4 and 15 students Key Stage 5 students who we see flourish year on year when being taught by a passionate and engaging teacher. If that's you, we'd love to hear from you! Please note that we have scope to offer a TLR for Subject Leadership for the right candidate.
Get to know our department…
- We offer both GCSE and BTEC for Key Stage 4 students
- In Key Stage 5 students study the RSL vocational course
- A number of our students leave us to study music as a higher education option
- A number of our students perform locally at music venues and festivals
- We have excellent music technology facilities
- We run trips to musicals, classical venues and more
- We have an annual school musical with a large number of students from all year groups, Christmas concert and exam group concerts
- We have just been awarded Music Mark status by Kent Music
The main message we’d like potential candidates to take away from this advert is the genuine collaboration and dynamism we have in our department. Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge of our performing arts team and utilise the great support offered. The Job Description for this role is in line with the National Teaching Standards.
In return, our successful candidate will receive:
- A salary commensurate with experience
- Professional coaching and support to enhance teaching and learning
- Laptop computer
- Performance related salary enhancement
- Bespoke CPD programme
- Complementary holistic therapy to support staff wellbeing
- Free use of a staff gym
- A thriving social and community ethos
We’re keen to hear from you if you are:
- An excellent teacher with an outstanding record
- Collaborative, building strong professional relationships
- Able to motivate and inspire students to achieve their full potential
- Energetic and have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Someone who has a measurable impact as an individual teacher and throughout the school
- Confident and aspire to senior leadership
- Committed to the happiness and wellbeing of everyone at the school
Working at Mascalls Academy: Mascalls Academy is a secondary school at the heart of the community and our small school model ensures that each and every student gets the personal support and challenge they need to reach their full potential. The academy is divided into four colleges – Shackleton, Earhart, Luther King and Marie Curie Sixth Form College each having their own personality and range of specialisms, allowing them to be unique.
Mascalls Academy is a high achieving institution. Our recent OFSTED inspection notes “ambitious leadership has established an ethos where staff are committed to driving standards up”, that Mascalls is a “happy place to be” and that “staff feel valued”. Our judgement that we are a ‘Good’ school with ‘Outstanding’ leadership and behaviour is accurate. It is our vision to become ‘Outstanding’ in every category. Our most recent inspection can be found here.
Mascalls Academy is a dynamic and exciting place to work and the fantastic leadership team are committed to making it great for people at all stages in their careers. Our building and facilities are a mix of designs with two new buildings being modern, light and airy giving the academy a unique and special character.
We can offer you the chance to be part of a strong and collaborative department, not only within Mascalls but with the wider Trust as well. Full support will be provided and you’ll have the tools and environment needed to teach in a way that works for you. We know that being a teacher can be both challenging and rewarding in equal measures and that you thrive on inspiring young adults and stimulating their curiosity. We aim to give our teachers the freedom to innovate and inspire our students as we know this is a crucial ingredient to driving great learning outcomes.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As part of Leigh Academies Trust you will have the opportunity to collaborate with your peers and share best practice at academy level and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise. We require all staff within the Trust to complete an enhanced DBS check as part of our on-boarding process in order to safeguard our students.