TEACHER OF PHILOSOPHY & THEOLOGY
Required: From January 2019
Salary: The Abbey School follows the National Teachers’ Salary Scale up to UPS 3, with an additional Abbey Allowance.
Contract type: Full time
Contract term: Maternity cover
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a specialist teacher of Philosophy & Theology to join a vibrant department in this highly successful independent girls’ school.
We invite applications from experienced teachers or NQTs wishing to join our highly committed, professional team working with academic, motivated girls. To find out more about our lively and well-resourced school, and for a full job description and application forms, please visit our website; www.theabbey.co.uk.
A teaching member of an academic department will be required to undertake the following professional duties.
Teaching: (in each case with regard to policies and curriculum of school and relevant departments)
· plan and prepare lessons and homework;
· teach, according to their educational needs, the pupils assigned, including the setting and marking of work to be carried out by the pupils in school and elsewhere;
· assess, record and report on the development, progress and attainment of pupils;
· provide or contribute to oral and written assessments, reports and references relating to individual pupils and groups of pupils;
· liaise with the Head of Department about departmental matters;
· prepare and develop courses of study, teaching and examination materials methods of teaching and assessment, as required;
· participate in arrangements for preparing pupils for examinations, invigilate the examinations and assess performance as required;
· Develop knowledge and professional competencies.
· attend weekly staff meetings, and other meetings as required;
· assist at and attend official functions e.g. entrance tests, exhibitions, speech day and other events;
· attend school prayers;
· register pupils;
· supervise pupils as requested;
· have an awareness of and follow the school health and safety policy and code of behaviour;
· maintain good order and discipline among the pupils and safeguard their health and safety both when they are authorised to be on the school premises and when they are engaged in authorised school activities elsewhere.
Teaching and Academic
· Lessons. 32 teaching periods per week for full-time staff (less any allowances relating to additional positions of responsibility taken on, including an allowance of 1 period for Skills for Life - formerly PSHE - for Form Tutors).
· Homework. Homework to be set in line with The Abbey School homework policy and year group homework timetables. All homework to be marked.
· Reporting. School reports and report cards to be produced in line with the published reporting timetable.
· Preparation and development of schemes of work and teaching resources. Workload to be shared as equitably as possible within the Department. HOD to oversee. Will vary from subject to subject and from year to year according to demands of public exam and other specifications.
· Departmental clinics/’help’ sessions/detentions. Involvement in line with equitable Distribution within Department. Overseen by HOD.
· Cover. Cover for teachers who are absent will be distributed as equitably as possible. Staff timetable commitments will be included in the allocation decisions so that those who are under-timetabled should expect to do more than the average amount of cover and those who are over-timetabled should expect to do less. As a general guideline, each period for which a member of staff is ‘under-timetabled’ would equate to two periods of cover.
Meetings and other events
The following is expected:
· Attend weekly Thursday Staff Briefing
· Attend INSET days – dates as published
· Attend after school staff meetings
· Attend weekly departmental meeting
· Attend weekly year group tutor meeting
· Attend other meetings relating to positions of responsibility
· Attend committees/working parties as volunteered
· Be present on occasional Saturdays e.g. 11+ entrance exam in January, Sixth Form Scholarship Day
· Attend all school open events
· Attend Sixth Form open evening in October
· Attend Speech Day – which could be an extended normal school day
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary; negotiable dependent on qualification and experience.
Staff are members of the State Teachers’ Pension Scheme.
Lunches are available free of charge.
Interviews will only be arranged following our receipt of a completed application form.
For enquires please contact email@example.com .