Teacher of Physical Education
The West London Free School aims to provide all pupils, no matter what their background, with a classical liberal education. We have a distinctive school culture built on a passion for bringing rich, demanding and inspiring knowledge to pupils of all abilities. We treasure the subject knowledge of staff, we value their passion for continuing to grow as subject-specialists and we support their subject-specific development. We do not believe in a one-size-fits-all approach to teaching across the whole curriculum. Subjects differ in important ways. We do not jump on the latest educational trend, embrace gimmicks or impose generic pedagogies. You will never be asked to develop a ‘growth mindset’ or to use Blooms taxonomy. There is a firm and fair approach to behaviour, systematically supported by senior staff: all pupil detentions are centralised and run by senior staff every day. Teachers are therefore able to prioritise the planning and teaching of subject knowledge. School leaders walk the talk: we all teach, love our subjects, understand workload pressures and are highly visible around school. We offer a range of employment benefits including interest-free season ticket loans and free staff lunches.
Our core belief is that every child is entitled to a classical liberal education, no matter what their background or ability. We place a heavy emphasis on the acquisition of core knowledge through the study of traditional subjects.
This is an exciting time to join the West London Free School and to be part of a dedicated and forward thinking department. The person appointed will play an important role in the development of PE and Sport within the curriculum and the extracurricular provision.
Key characteristics of the role include:
· To be a model of excellent practice, maintaining a clear focus on the outstanding delivery of PE to pupils.
· To stimulate and encourage pupils to a high standard of interest and work in the subject, ensuring that the needs of the individual are met.
· To assist the Director of Sport in the production of schemes of work for Key Stage 3, 4 and 5, and to monitor their subsequent effectiveness.
· To monitor the progress of students according to the department and school assessment policy.
· To show a commitment to enhancing the quality of teaching and learning in the department by taking part in sharing resources, collaborative teaching, mentoring and active participation in continuing professional development.
· To show clear dedication to the provision of extracurricular sport through regular club practices and fixtures.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- An ability to teach core PE and examination PE in relevant Key Stages.
- An ability to demonstrate some specialisms within the areas of Dance, Hockey or Netball.
- A passion for PE and exceptional subject knowledge in core and examination PE.
- Excellent team working skills.
- Effective and efficient communication skills with both pupils and staff.
- An understanding and commitment to the ethos of the school.
The West London Free School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
If you wish to apply, please complete and return the attached application form with a covering letter via email to email@example.com or post to the West London Free School, Palingswick House, 241 King Street, Hammersmith, W6 9LP.
Application deadline: 23 June 2017.
Interviews: Week commencing 26 June 2017.