“As individuals, we can make a difference.” – Michio Kaku
Yes, it’s true an individual can make a difference. But you can make a bigger difference when you have a team of supportive people behind you.
Whether you’re an NQT or you have been teaching physics for decades, to really inspire the next generation of scientists you need an environment with the right conditions. You need an environment where pupils genuinely want to learn. An environment in which your colleagues are as geeky about your subject as you are.
With our unparalleled professional development opportunities, you will be able to progress in your career, whatever stage you are at. For instance, if you are currently training and looking for a school which nurtures NQTs, we can guarantee you a tailored programme of support which goes well above and beyond to make sure you thrive. There are copious opportunities for working with international schools and STEM organisations. We also operate a fully-funded Masters programme which is open to all.
Whatever your level of experience in the classroom, it’s your passion for your subject that counts. We prize love of learning above all else.
We need a talented teacher of physics who has the passion to provide pupils with the best possible experience of this fascinating subject. Could it be you?
Our teachers work very hard but they only ever do work which is going to make a difference for our pupils. Quite simply, we believe in common sense approaches to everything. That means:
- Our teachers do minimal marking. Why spend ages with a red pen when there are much better ways to give pupils the feedback they need?
- We never ask for lesson plans. Of any kind. Ever.
- Although schemes of work and resources are provided, they are not prescriptive – we cherish individual approaches to delivery.
- There is no pressure to ‘put on a show’ in lessons: A culture of typicality is reinforced by no lesson gradings (outstanding, good, etc).
- Everyone has the highest expectations of behaviour, with all staff (not just teaching staff) reinforcing those expectations.
- A clear system of sanctions is applied consistently so staff don’t have to battle with pupils.
- Senior Leadership are very visible and all staff ‘own’ their corridors.
- CPD is tailored specifically to staff needs, based off their feedback. This includes a fully funded Masters programme available to everyone.
- There are no prizes for looking busy or staying late – we work in a way that suits us we make sure you make time for ourselves and our families.
That’s just 9 of the things we do to secure our teachers’ well-being. There are many more here: http://www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk/47-things-we-do-staff-well-being/
We urge you to visit us. There’s a real buzz about the place which no amount of words can convey, so please come to see Barr Beacon School for yourself.
If you are already interested in joining us, visit www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk to download an application form and send it to Lynsey Draycott: LDraycott@barrbeaconschool.co.uk
Closing date: Friday 13th December