Surbiton High School is part of United Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England. Schools within United Learning work as a team and achieve more by sharing than any single school could. By collecting expertise and combining resources, we help to make the tough job of teaching a little easier. With a shared curriculum and lesson plans from around the group available to all, our teachers have strong foundations to lead the engaging, rounded education our children deserve. Our intranet site, United Hub, is just one example of how we share this resource and communicate across sites, helping to simplify processes and manage workloads for an improved work-life balance. We reward our staff: with wide career opportunities – between Primary and Secondary, Academy and Independent – better pay, benefits, and ultimately the satisfaction of helping every child at each of our schools to succeed and reach their full potential.
To teach the Prep School pupils in classroom music lessons, direct and accompany the pupils in choir, instrumental ensemble and individual rehearsals and performances, and assist the Head of Prep Schools Music in the organisational and administrative tasks of the department.
Reporting Line: Head of Girls’ Preparatory School /Head of Boys’ Preparatory School
Tenure: Part-time (up to 40%), Permanent
- Teach classroom music lessons to pupils in the Girls’ Prep School and/ or Boys’ Prep School, from Reception to Year 6 (hereafter referred to as ‘Prep’ pupils).
- Direct Prep choirs and instrumental ensembles in rehearsals and performances.
- Accompany on the piano; Prep choirs, instrumental ensembles and soloists in rehearsals and performances.
- Plan and prepare resources for Prep classroom music lessons, choir rehearsals and instrumental ensemble rehearsals.
- Contribute to the Girls’ Prep School and/ or Boys’ Prep School Music Schemes of Work with aims and objectives, lesson plans and shared resources.
- Deputise for teachers in their absence in the teaching of classroom music lessons and in the directing and accompanying of choir and instrumental ensemble rehearsals and performances.
- Communicate with parents concerning their child’s musical education, which includes following the school’s reporting procedures.
- Assist the Head of Prep Schools Music in the purchase or production, organisation, cataloguing and repair of the department’s resources for lessons, rehearsals and performances, which include sheet music and musical instruments.
- Assist the Head of Prep Schools Music in the planning and organisation of performances, which includes directing and supervising pupils and advising other staff members.
- Assist the Head of Prep Schools Music in communicating with parents concerning the Prep music department’s activities.
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Good honours degree.
- A postgraduate teaching qualification, including QTS, would be an advantage.
- Evidence of further relevant professional development.
- Inspiring and enthusiastic teacher of Music and leader of choirs and ensembles.
- Very good keyboard and sight-reading skills for the purpose of accompanying performances.
- Ability to lead, inspire, motivate and support pupils and colleagues.
- Excellent organisational, administrative and ICT skills, including use of ICT within the curriculum.
- Understanding of how music is or can be made relevant, accessible and engaging to pupils.
- Understanding of how music can be used to improve pupils’ musical skills, enabling them to give.
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents.
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences.
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life.
- Committed to Surbiton High School’s ethos and strategic vision.
To apply for this role, please visit https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1258692?cid=1567
Closing Date: 9:00am Monday 21 May 2018.
Interviews to be held: Friday 25 May 2018.
Where teaching is better shared
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.