ST MARY’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Newcastle upon Tyne
Headteacher: J Foster NOR c.1425
Teacher of Religious Education
Main or Upper Pay Range
Required for January 2020
(An Easter or September 2020 start and/or a fixed term appointment from January until September may also be considered. Please get in touch, as below, if you wish to discuss this.)
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Teacher of Religious Education to contribute to our flourishing RE department. This post should appeal to both recently qualified teachers or to more experienced candidates, looking to develop further in an outstanding school. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone wishing to join an outstanding department and a highly successful and forward thinking school.
St Mary’s is a very popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. In our latest Diocesan inspection, the RE department was rated outstanding. Inspectors observed that ‘pupils thoroughly enjoy Religious Education and are totally committed to their learning’ and that ‘the leadership of the department is outstanding and the striving for excellence is shared wholeheartedly by the department’.
We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,200 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 220, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years. In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, RE is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:-
- 41% of pupils in GCSE Religious Studies achieved a Grade 7-9 over the last 2 years, with 74% achieving Grade 5 or higher. These results were significantly above the national average and included an impressive 58 grade 9’s
- 63% of A-Level Religious Studies students achieved A*-B over the last 2 years, and 83% gained A*-C with a 100% pass rate overall
Leadership, teaching and the climate for learning in RE are all outstanding.
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a teacher with:-
- A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
- A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
- A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
- An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
- The ability to promote a love of learning RE in our students
Application packs are available to download here, from our school website, or by e-mailing the Director of Finance and Support Services, email@example.com.
If you require any further information about the post, please do not hesitate to contact John Foster, Headteacher or Suzanne Fisher, Senior Assistant Headteacher on 0191 215 3260.
Closing date: 9.00am on 21st October 2019. Interviews will be held the same week.
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.