ST MARY’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Newcastle upon Tyne
Headteacher: J Foster NOR c.1350
Teacher of Science (Chemistry Specialism)
Main/Upper Pay Range
Required for September 2018
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Science teacher, with a specialism in Chemistry ideally, to contribute to our flourishing Science department. The role may appeal to a teacher seeking their first teaching post or, equally, to recently qualified or more experienced teachers, looking to develop in an outstanding school which is totally committed to Science. There may well be opportunities to teach Science post-16 for an experienced candidate. St Mary’s is a great place to work and provides excellent job satisfaction, as it is a very supportive environment. We provide excellent on going professional development for teachers at all levels. There are also opportunities to work collaboratively with teachers in other departments, for example as part of the coaching programme or action research projects, to help to continue to develop teaching and learning across the school. The working environment is, therefore, a very stimulating one for staff.
St Mary’s is a very successful, popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,100 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 200, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years.
In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, Science is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:-
- Excellent GCSE Science Progress score of +0.4, the 5th best in North East England
- 66% of all students gained at least 2 C’s in GCSE Sciences – well above the national average
- 77% of all students gained at least 1 C in a GCSE Science
- Average of 55% A*/A and 98% A*-C in GCSE Chemistry over the last 3 years
- 52% A*-B in A Level Chemistry over the last 2 years and 100% pass rate
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a teacher with:-
- A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
- A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
- A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
- An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
- The drive and creativity to promote a love of Science learning in our students
Application packs are available to download here, from our school website, or by e-mailing the Headteacher’s PA, email@example.com.
Closing date: 10:00am Monday 5th March 2018
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.