GFS was described as ‘among the highest performing schools in the country’ following our first set of GCSE results in 2017. We are delighted to advertise a rare opportunity for a passionate Scientist to join our highly-successful department and ensure that every pupil at GFS falls in love with Science.
At GFS we are passionate about the importance of subject disciplines and want all of our pupils to serve an apprenticeship within each particular subject. You will be an expert Scientist who will enable all pupils to think, talk and write in particular, powerful ways, mirroring the disciplinary thinking of an expert within the field.
As part of our ‘no excuses, no shortcuts’ culture, 60% of pupils select triple sciences at GFS – nearly 3 times the national average. We provide every pupil in KS3 with 4 hours a week of Science and up to 9 hours a week at KS4. We also facilitate 12 days a year where we collapse the timetable to allow more intensive learning to take place. We do not merge subjects and do not shy away from introducing difficult, yet interesting, content to Year 7. If you are passionate about the importance of Science and want to spread this message to as many young people as possible, this could be the job for you.
Alongside working in a school that values the importance of Science as an academic discipline you will also receive high-quality weekly training and have access to world-class development opportunities through our partnerships with a wide range of schools and universities. You will work with a strong Head of Department who will provide you with guidance and advice and you will receive weekly coaching and feedback to help progress your career.
What makes us unique:
- We put high-quality teaching at the heart of what we do.
- We don’t grade individual lessons or ask for lesson plans.
- We are developing a sophisticated model of Multiple Choice Questions and low-stakes tests to enable us to move away from written comments in books.
- We run a reduced loading for teaching staff, giving them the space they need to plan, mark, assess and learn.
- We have 60mins of staff training every week and run weekly coaching for every member of staff
- We have a very clear staff progression model, ensuring you receive the support and experiences you need to achieve your ambitions
- We have highly structured intervention processes ensuring no child is left behind yet ensuring they receive a broad and balanced curriculum offer
- We do not remove students from one subject to get extra tuition in another subject - all subjects are equally valuable at GFS.
- We have relationships with some of the best schools in the country, ensuring staff can develop strong external links with expert practitioners
- We have a very strong behaviour code ensuring no lesson time is wasted.
This role represents a unique opportunity to join a still newly formed school with the highest expectations for pupils and staff, and to help shape the school’s continued growth as we move towards our second set of GCSE results in 2018.
If after reading the enclosed information you would like to apply to join us on our journey to becoming the best school in London, please click the 'apply now' button to complete the online application form and ensure you include a supporting statement setting out why you feel you are suitable for the role in an evidence-led way that addresses the key requirements of the job by 09:00 Wednesday 23rd January 2018.
CVs alone will not be accepted. If you have any queries or you would like to arrange a tour of the school please contact Victoria Hemmings on 020 8319 3692.
The Greenwich Free School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check and satisfactory references.
We reserve the right to bring forward the closing date at our discretion, early application is advised. You will only be contacted if you have been shortlisted for this post.