The David Nieper Academy is a newly formed academy in Alfreton, Derbyshire. A brand-new school building opened in early 2017. A key aspect of our vision is our focus on applied learning within all subject areas and across all year groups. This year we have seen an increase in student numbers within each year group and we are looking to build on this year on year. This is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key component in the development of the new academy.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint an excellent teacher of science to continue the work of this faculty.
The successful candidate must be able to:
• plan and deliver outstanding lessons that engage and motive students
• plan and create schemes of work
• have a good understanding of the new GCSE specifications
• work well as part of a team
• have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• have a ‘can-do’ attitude
• enjoy working with and supporting and challenging young people to achieve their full potential.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Candidates should indicate an acceptance of, and a commitment to, the Academy’s policies in relation to equality and safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
It is an offence to apply for this role if an applicant is barred from engaging in regulated activity relevant to children.
Please follow the below link to view the David Nieper Education Trust Safeguarding/Child Protection Policy https://davidnieper.academy/about-us/academy-policies/
Teacher of Science
To provide highly effective teaching of Science across all key stages, contributing to the ongoing development of the Faculty. A specialism in Biology is preferred. The science faculty is very well resourced with state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment. All labs have 74-inch Interactive Promethean TVs.
The Science Faculty currently consists of:
Head of Science
Six additional science teachers
The aim of science at David Nieper Academy is to develop a love and appreciation of the scientific world, as well as maximising the progress of all students regardless of backgrounds or previous academic ability. The department work closely together to fulfil these aims and support each other to maintain high standards of teaching and learning. We are looking for an applicant who can demonstrate the ability to work well as part of a team and who has no qualms about doing what is needed to help our students to success. We are open to new ideas and innovations if they can be shown to have positive effects on the progress of our students, and welcome applicants who have demonstrated successful changes previously or who can show a willingness to try new ideas in their teaching.
Our curriculum is designed around developing strong scientific foundations at KS3 to fully prepare the students for the rigors of KS4 where they follow the AQA Trilogy pathway with higher ability students completing the Separate Science option to gain 3 GCSE’s.
• To plan, teach and assess Science across key stages 3 and 4
• To be a form tutor
• To contribute to the co-curricular life of the school
• Participate in the academy Performance Management arrangements
Teaching and Learning
• Plan and teach engaging and challenging lessons that pave the way for success in school and life
• Meet the needs of all learners by consistently planning and teaching carefully differentiated lessons
• Contribute to the Faculty planning and the creation and updating of schemes of work
• Use regular, measurable and significant assessments of teaching
• Set and mark appropriate homework
• Complete all reporting on time
• Closely monitor progress and attainment of all students and use it to inform teaching
• Provide content for and, where necessary, deliver high quality student interventions with direction from the Head of Faculty
• Work to ensure that all students achieve or exceed targets
• Maintain regular and productive communication with parents about their child’s progress, behaviour and development, including attending after school parent meetings as required
• Undertake professional development as agreed with academy leaders
• Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school as directed by the Headteacher
• Free access to BUPA Employee Assistance Programme
• Free onsite Parking
• Generous discount at the David Nieper Ltd factory shop
David Nieper Academy is a co-educational secondary academy, formerly known as Alfreton Grange Art College. The school itself was first established in 1939, and adopted its current name in 2016 following its conversion into an academy. The school is c...