Teacher of Science
(Chemistry or Physics specialists)
MPS or UPS
We seek an excellent teacher of Science for September 2020, due to increasing numbers in the school.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious practitioner, who wants to make a real impact on further driving up attainment and progress.
You will have the opportunity to work with specialist teachers in other schools as part of our Trust’s Teaching School Alliance.
Our campus is unique. We have two distinct schools and a cross campus sixth form which is in the top 25% of all schools in the country for progress. It is a team and a family of people who are all working together to achieve our mission of preparing our pupils for success in high quality apprenticeships or a place in university. We believe in a set of recognisable and traditional values: honesty; kindness to all others; respect for all; hard work and persistence.
Our teaching approaches have been influenced by groundbreaking work in charter schools in US inner cities, leading free schools in England and innovations from cognitive science research. Our teaching and learning approach is built on powerful work found in Lemov’s ’Teach Like a Champion’. Currently we are reading and researching work by Barak Rosenshine and Alex Quigley. We teach a rigorous, knowledge-based broad and balanced curriculum.
With a clear focus on both the self-worth of students and excellent outcomes, you will work further drive up attainment, progress and standards at Key Stage 3 and GCSE (Level 2), as well as developing our students’ love of learning and enhancement of their ‘cultural capital’. A level teaching will be available for a suitably qualified and experienced candidate.
We have very high expectations of all of our staff, but we value them highly, and treat work load very seriously. Our systems ensure you can really focus on your core purpose – teaching, in a sustainable way, unhindered by bureaucracy or poor behaviour. If you are able to visit, you will see a culture with excellent behaviour and engaged students who are friendly and courteous. We know we haven’t yet got everything right, and are driven to continuously improve and aspire to become one of the best state schools in Oxfordshire and beyond.
What we can offer you:
- A professional progression model to enable you to make further progress in your career
- A supportive and friendly science faculty with excellent technicians
- Support and line management from a highly experienced Head of Faculty and Vice Principal
- Great students who behave excellently – you can make a massive difference to them
- Clear behaviour systems
- Centralised homework detentions for KS4 students (you do not need to organise/run/chase them at all) and a robust internal exclusion system
- A feedback policy focused on closing the gap– we do not have onerous/impossible marking policies
- A centralised homework system at KS3 – you do not need to check/mark KS3 homework
- No formal graded lesson observations – just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ feedback, helping you to continuously develop
- Collaborative planning with centralised, shared units of work and resources
- CPD that starts as soon as you are appointed, with a clear induction programme
- A beautiful campus situated on the very edge of the Cotswolds, only half an hour from Oxford and an hour from London by train
- a campus which has just seen its best GCSE results ever and another excellent set of A level results
- a campus where the sixth form is growing year on year with good numbers of students staying on to take the sciences
- the only outstanding sixth form in Banbury and the surrounding area
- sixth formers who now have the ambition to study at universities across the country
- a Trust which actively supports career progression through its “Roadmap” of professional learning opportunities
The successful candidate will be:
- an experienced practitioner who really enjoys working with children and understands the privileged position teachers hold in the communities they serve
- an excellent teacher of science (Chemistry or Physics specialism with a minimum of KS3 and KS4 GCSE experience in a secondary school)
- someone who has a demonstrable love for the subject
- someone who can explain abstract ideas effectively
- someone who will be willing to go the extra mile to ensure that the life chances and ‘cultural capital’ of all our pupils are maximised
- totally aligned to our values and mission. If you are the type of person who fits with our culture, you will love working here
Banbury Aspirations Campus offers an excellent opportunity for an ambitious, talented individual looking to develop their career. We would be delighted to show you around our Academy in order to fully appreciate our excellent learning environment. We strongly advise a visit as this Campus is unique in many ways. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01295 251451 to arrange a visit or an informal, confidential discussion about the role.
Deadline for applications 9 a.m. Thursday 27th February 2020
Interviews to take place w/b 2nd March 2020