Established in Singapore in 1980, Lorna Whiston opened in Malaysia in 1998, building on the brand’s reputation for high quality education and teaching excellence. Our programmes offer the best in English Language, Speech & Drama and Public Speaking education for young learners who are taught in small groups of no more than twelve. This position offers an excellent opportunity for professional development in a setting which differs from a traditional primary school.
Role Purpose: To help young learners make optimal progress with their English, engendering in them a love of learning by delivering the LW curriculum in an engaging, interactive and professional manner and contributing positively to life at Lorna Whiston.
Planning, Teaching and Class Management
- To prepare and deliver lessons with energy, precision and flair, in ways that facilitate active learning and enrich young learners’ knowledge and understanding
- To meet the learning objectives of each programme and lesson
- To differentiate learning activities to meet the varying needs of learners
- To serve as a positive inspiration and role model to students
- To use relevant technology to support instruction
- To liaise closely with the Headteacher on any matters concerning student performance or behaviour that are of concern
- To create regular displays of the students’ work
- To positively manage student behaviour in the classroom by establishing and enforcing appropriate behaviour guidelines and procedures
- To take an active role in curriculum and materials development
Monitoring, Assessment, Reporting and Recording
- To encourage and monitor the progress of individual students
- To mark class work in a timely manner in line with the LW marking policy
- To provide students, parents and other stakeholders with appropriate and constructive feedback on progress made
- To maintain accurate and complete records of students' attendance, progress and development
- Assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use them to improve specific aspects of teaching
Continued Professional Development
- To keep up to date with developments in teaching and learning, and to suggest relevant changes and improvements to the LW curriculum
- To participate in INSET, and to show a commitment to on-going personal professional improvement and development
- To support and mentor new or less experienced staff
Activities to support the Lorna Whiston brand
- To build a strong and positive rapport with students and parents that encourages student retention and customer loyalty
- To participate in company marketing events, charitable work and social activities that are organized or supported by Lorna Whiston
- To participate in school meetings and parent-teacher meetings
- To take an active role in Outreach Programmes and / or Teacher Training Programmes offered by LW (where applicable)
- To liaise with colleagues and work flexibly
- To establish effective working relationships and set a good example through presentation and personal and professional conduct
Qualifications, Experience and Job Requirements
- Minimum qualification = Bachelor’s degree + post-graduate teaching qualification or Bachelor of Education
- 3+ years of teaching experience
- Excellent teaching skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal abilities
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Flexibility, energy, enthusiasm and patience
- Imagination, creativity and a sense of humour
- Clear and effective communication and engagement with children and their families
Reports to: The Headteacher, Lorna Whiston, Malaysia
Contracted Hours: 40 hours per week (inclusive of teaching hours)
Availability: Position available mid-August 2018
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Remuneration Package: The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary that is commensurate with relevant qualifications and teaching experience based on our salary scale, together with a monthly housing allowance. Teachers who complete a 2-year contract will also receive a completion bonus.
Lorna Whiston Sdn Bhd
Lorna Whiston Centres have helped Malaysian students find their confidence and develop language skills since 1998. We offer English Language, Speech & Drama and Public Speaking programmes for pre-primary to secondary students, who attend classes once a week in small groups. In addition, we also offer a range of customised teacher and corporate training programmes for adults. Lorna Whiston is located in Taman Tun Dr Ismail (TTDI), an upmarket suburb of Kuala Lumpur.
With an international, specially trained and passionate teaching staff from countries like the UK, US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the Lorna Whiston name is synonymous with high quality English education in Malaysia and Singapore. Our specially designed courses are certified by the Malaysian Ministry of Education.
Who is Lorna Whiston?
As a young teacher, Lorna Whiston taught in the UK before coming to Malaya to teach with the British Armed Forces. She later taught at international schools in both Malaysia and Singapore and became a school principal in 1971.
In 1980, she established the first Lorna Whiston Centre in Singapore with the aim of improving the standard of English language amongst students. The demand for quality, world-class English courses have put the Lorna Whiston name at the forefront of language enrichment programmes for students in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong.
Transforming lives through learning
Lorna Whiston provides exceptional learning experiences for students. Our mission is to build upon our reputation, increase our market share and become the most relevant, respected, customer-centric and successful educational institution of its kind in the region.
Collaboration - we are a supportive, positive and people-oriented team that works together to ensure the success of the whole group.
Integrity - we conduct our business to the highest standards of professional behaviour and ethics. We are honest, transparent and ethical in our interactions with all stakeholders.
Learning-centred - learning is our raison-d’etre; it is central to everything we do. We learn from our mistakes and we do it better next time. We are committed to lifelong learning.
Determination - we are driven by determination to be the best we can possibly be. We love a challenge, and we go above and beyond the call of duty to reach our goals, because that is who we are.
Forward-looking - we encourage our staff to think like innovators, and to look ahead to what we need to be doing next to stay ahead of the game. We never stand still.
Application email : email@example.com