Renad Academy is a Qatar Foundation School specifically designed for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Currently, programs to support students with ASD in Qatar are limited and cannot meet current needs. The school is a place where children can receive an appropriate and individualized education, using evidence-based practices such as ABA and Structured TEACCH methodology. In addition, Renad Academy also provides an intensive programme to train and support families who have children with ASD to support the best outcomes for their children.
Renad Academy opened in September 2016 with 24 three, four and
five year old children. Since then, one classroom has been added each year and will continue in this fashion until the school fully provides education to students ages 3 to 18 years old. Classrooms are set up using TEACCH methodology and a 2:1 ratio, including the teacher. Services provided include a thorough assessment to determine strengths and needs, direct instruction through the use of ABA methods, social skills training, speech-language therapy, occupational therapy, in-home training for parents and collaboration with the medical community. Renad is currently seeking NAS accreditation.
- Postgraduate qualification in Special Education or related field
- 2 years teaching experience in Special Education including students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Outstanding instructional skills, including strategies researched as effective for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to relate to student concerns
- Demonstrated commitment to Continuing Professional Development
- International experience in education
- Willingness to make a long term commitment
- A good sense of humor and a positive outlook
- An interest in understanding the culture and values of Qatar and incorporating them into our work in the school
- Prepare short and long-term plans that reflect learning objectives, with a clear understanding of instructional strategies, assessment tools and behaviour management strategies related to Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Collect and analyze student data and monitor student progress to direct instructional practices
- Identify individual students’ learning needs and adjust instructional strategies as appropriate
- Organize and maintain a neat and attractive classroom to enhance the learning environment
- Submit grades and comments, and document student progress as required
- Supervise the instructional assistant’s schedule and their instruction to students
- Attend required meetings and serve on committees as requested
- Work closely with Specialists to provide appropriate services to students
- Participate in professional development activities and keep abreast of developments in subject matter area specially working with students with Autism
- Participate in self-assessment activities and integrate evaluation feedback from administrators into planning to improve teaching performance
- Conduct workshops or presentations to share expertise and information from professional development activities
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is highly competitive and tax-free, and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, end of service gratuity and tuition benefits for Pre-K – Grade 12 school-age dependents.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are required to complete in full the application form and submit it as a single pdf file attachment to:
Ms. Sherri Miller, Director of Renad Academy, Qatar Foundation Schools
Initial closing date for applications – December 1, 2017
Qatar Foundation Schools reserves the right to appoint a candidate before the application deadline should this prove desirable.
Successful appointment will be subject to satisfactory references and verification of qualifications. The Office of Pre-University is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening including checks with previous employers and national/international disclosure service as appropriate.