Job Title: Teaching Assistant - Alternative Provision (ESBD)
Salary: £13,000 to £14,000 per annum
Start Date: January 2020, or sooner if possible
Contract Type: Full Time, term time only
Contract Term: Permanent
Working Hours: 8.30-4.30 Monday to Friday
EdStart opened its first Independent Specialist School in South Manchester in September 2010, and now operates across multiple sites throughout the North West. Our primary function is Alternative Provision, serving the region’s schools and young people by developing a suitable environment and curriculum to match their varying needs. Our pupils each develop an individual learning plan with their mentor or teacher which they then follow throughout their time with Edstart.
The role as Teaching Assistant will be based in our new provision in Bury to start in January 2020. The centre will support up to 12 KS3 pupils and will be classroom based. The successful application will be part of a learning team including a qualified teacher and Behaviour and Learning Mentor. Your role will be to assist our pupils to reach their academic potential in a nurturing and supportive environment, whilst helping them to develop life skills and enabling them to learn.
The successful candidate will:
- Assist the teacher in the delivery of the curriculum, working collaboratively to secure the best outcomes for all pupils
- Helping learners who are underperforming in their subjects, either on a one-to-one basis outside the classroom or within lessons
- Listening to and helping learners resolve a range of issues that are creating barriers to learning
- Have good communication, literacy and numeracy skills
- Have an understanding of positive behaviour management strategies to support our pupils
- Support social communication skills at all times
- Have previous experience of working in a primary or secondary school setting as a Teaching Assistant with some experience of reaching children with social, emotional or physical barriers to learning
- Be able to use a non-judgemental approach at work
- The ability to relate to young people and adults
- Has the ability to work well under pressure and as part of a close team
- Has a strong understanding of confidentiality and the handling of sensitive information
- Has a commitment to safeguarding
How to apply
To request an application pack or to have an informal chat regarding this post and working at the school please contact Tracy Harrison on 0191 267 6555 or email email@example.com. Closing date for completed applications is Monday 18th November at 3pm. Applications should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be reviewed as received, so we may be in contact before the closing date.
Your application is a direct permanent application to Edstart. Vision for Education is our recruitment partner and manages our permanent appointments.
Please be aware that as an independent company, Edstart does not follow teachers pay and conditions.
All posts are subject to DBS clearance. All staff are responsible for the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare of children.