Located in the beautiful town of Tervuren, near the university city of Leuven, BSB is a not for profit, inclusive fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke curriculum with integrated learning themes that are inquiry based and skills driven. Whilst British-based, it is uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and multicultural student body. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for (I)GCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. BSB has outstanding facilities and is the only international school in Belgium to have its own 25m indoor swimming pool. With an excellent record of academic achievement, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe.
We are seeking a suitably qualified and creative teacher to join an extremely successful faculty to teach Food and Nutrition to Years 7-9. The ability to teach Textiles will be an advantage.
The successful candidate will have had previous experience teaching at secondary school level, ideally in the British system internationally and/or in the UK. We expect applicants to be suitably qualified.
Food and Nutrition Department
Food and Nutrition sits within the wider Science and Design Technology Faculty and is managed by the Deputy Faculty Leader who also leads and manages Design Technology. Food and Nutrition staff work closely in Years 7-9 with Textiles. Indeed, teaching of these subjects is part of a carousel arrangement and staff are willing able to teach both subject areas. All students in Years 7-9 take Technology, Food and Textiles. At examination level, Food and Nutrition remains a popular option for GCSE. Some students take the subject further in Post-16 where they are able to develop their skills and talents with the BTEC Hospitality course. The department is extremely well-equipped and resourced and there is a warm and welcoming atmosphere for students in adjoining kitchens and the nearby Textiles areas. Currently, there are four teachers who work co-operatively in a close-knit and positive team.
The successful applicant will:
- set the highest standards in terms of learning and teaching, getting the very best from students from all backgrounds and all abilities;
- work closely with department colleagues in creating a sense of cohesion and collaborative spirit within the department and will co-operate with colleagues in other departments and the Primary School;
- be appreciative of students’ differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds;
- be actively involved in professional learning within the department and across the school where opportunities arise, including after-school meetings, relevant courses and professional development days;
- have good IT skills professionally and pedagogically;
- be attuned to current developments in teaching in Food and Nutrition • be willing to help develop schemes of work, teaching resources and contribute to the development of the curriculum;
- be willing and able to contribute wholeheartedly to the social and personal development of students, and to the extra-curricular life of the school;
- be willing to take an active part in school trips, both residential and day visits.
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Open mindedness and welcoming of otherness
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students.
In return, we offer:
- A part-time temporary (+/- 50%) contract
- An interesting position in a thriving faculty in an international environment
- Excellent professional development opportunities
- An attractive salary – (BSB Learning & Teaching staff – Band 4 representing a minimum of € 48.129 and a maximum of € 87.355 gross per year for a full time position, depending on the years of relevant experience) and extra-legal benefits including an hospitalisation insurance, extra pension payments, luncheon vouchers and free use of the BSB sport facilities.
The deadline for applications is Thursday, 15 March at 16.00 (Belgian time). Please note that only applications sent in via the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
Interviews will be held at the school and this process will include a sample lesson and opportunities to meet potential colleagues.
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.”