Post:Fixed Term, Full Time Trainee English Teacher
Teacher Salary: Sixth Form Pay Scale 15-21 (£15,781 to £17,946)
Period: 21 August 2017 until the end of the summer term 2020
Responsible to: Curriculum Leader
Purpose: Employed as a trainee teacher working towards gaining a teaching qualification.
Key Duties: • Teaching duties within the pattern of directed time at the College;
• Assessing, recording and reporting on students’ work;
• Working within an appropriate department to contribute to planning, monitoring and evaluating
• Student work and the quality of teaching and learning;
• Committed to equality, diversity and safeguarding practice with young people and vulnerable adults;
• Working to achieve the mission and strategic objectives of the College;
• Contributing to marketing and promotional activities;
• Undertaking continuing professional development activities specifically - completing a teaching qualification – Post Graduate Certificate in Education or Diploma in Education and Training
• Participating in the College staff appraisal programme;
• Contributing to the student enrichment programme;
• Liaison with employers and communities to develop and improve provision as appropriate;
• Other reasonable duties/activities required by the line manager and Principal; Generic Duties:
• To support the College’s mission, value and strategic objectives;
• To implement the College’s equal opportunities policies and to actively challenge discrimination
• on grounds of protected characteristics in the College;
• To participate and contribute to staff development;
• To implement the College’s Health and Safety Policies and practices;
• To implement the College’s commitment to continuous improvement and its quality assurance
• To operate in a way that applies and is consistent with the professional code of practices for teachers;
• To maintain up-to-date knowledge of current developments in relevant fields of education.
Note This job description allocates key duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent on carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed. The job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post and is subject to review following consultation.
Person Specification – Trainee Teacher Essential skills, experience and characteristics
Commitment to completing an appropriate teaching qualification (Further Education PGCE);
English degree or similar area of degree level qualification.
Practical experience of working with students.
Good quality teaching skills;
Team working skills;
Good communication skills: interpersonal, group, written and verbal;
Flexibility and the capacity to adapt effectively to rapidly changing situations;
Good presentational skills;
Knowledge of equality, diversity and safeguarding young people and vulnerable adults; Effective negotiating skills and the ability to inspire and motivate both students and staff;
Ability to work calmly, multi-task and meet tight deadlines;
Commitment to continuing personal professional development.
Desirable skills, experience and characteristics
• Knowledge and experience of English GCSE.
• Some knowledge of a variety of quality systems and processes.
• Previous experience of Post-16 education.
• Free use of the sports hall / gym facilities on site.
• Employee assistance programme and wellbeing initiatives.
• Free onsite parking. Contractual Benefits
• Teacher’s Pension Scheme.
• Term time only working.