Working with us
A commitment to lifelong learning, for ourselves and our students so we can all make a positive difference.
Dehong Education recognises that exceptional and inspirational teachers are our most valuable resource in providing our students with an excellent international education. Dehong educators are ambitious for their students’ learning and put students first in everything they do. They have the highest aspirations for their students’ achievement and development, both in the classroom and through the many co-and extra-curricular activities on offer. Our teachers actively promote the School’s mission and vision through their enthusiastic and full participation in school life and their supportive engagement with students, colleagues and parents.
Head of Secondary School
Purpose of Role
The Dehong University and Careers Counsellors are student advocates who facilitate pathways to lifelong success and fulfilment, especially in the immediate steps after graduation. He/she promotes a love of learning, self-reflection, well-being and student agency in the process of students determining their post-secondary pathways. He/she will aim to support students with a personalised practice. He/she works in collaboration across the school to develop the Dehong curriculum and counselling provision. Positive collaboration and engagement with all community stakeholders, but especially teachers and parents, will be crucial to the delivery of an exciting and challenging process of self-discovery, goal setting, and applications. Dehong student will have the ability to go to the best universities and follow their career ambitions anywhere in the world. The counsellor believes strongly in data driven and evidence based practice to inform his/her planning, group counselling programs and individual counselling interventions. A clear understanding of Dehong’s vision, mission and learning principles is essential.
Learning and Teaching Standards A
The University and Careers Counsellor is responsible for administering all aspects of the college search and admissions process as well as supporting students with any other post-secondary aspiration. In addition to the job They will be expected to:
• Help students and families aspire realistically and choose their post-secondary goals wisely.
• Do all that they legitimately and honestly can to ensure each student’s college application is successful
• Represent the school in the best possible light in the community and boost its profile in the higher education community
In order to achieve these goals, they will be required to:
• Educate students and parents about universities, academic majors & programmes, the admissions processes, trends, procedures, and admission testing.
• Provide an individualized counselling service for students in Grades 10-12, which should include advice on academic pathways.
• Encourage admissions representatives to visit the campus and facilitating meetings between university representatives and our students.
• Manage and maintain accurate and up to date records on students, including external exam results, internal Progress Report data and transcripts.
• Work closely with teachers and the IB coordinator to ensure students are making course selections that fit their post-secondary plans
• Write an official school recommendation or reference for each Grade 12 student in the caseload.
• Coordinate and deliver careers counselling curriculum as needed to Grade 10-12 cohorts.
• Keep teachers informed of the university application process and the tasks expected of them.
• Co-ordinate the online application process and applications and preparation for universities worldwide.
• Support the clearing and final admissions process for students during the summer and coordinate with the IB Coordinator to advise on remarks.
• Contribute to the school newsletter, website current community events and admissions strategies as appropriate to keep parents and students informed
• Coordinate the annual update of the school profile and other relevant publications.
• Maintain an accurate and up to date record of admission decisions, statistics, and relevant data.
• Submit a progress report to the School Leadership Team as required.
• Liaise with University Counsellors from across the Dehong and Dulwich group to improve provision and best practices
• Be a member of International ACAC and attend annual professional development and university networking conferences and workshops
• Disseminate information about standardized tests such as SAT, ACT, PSAT and help to administer university related exams such as the BMAT, PSAT and others.
• Contribute fully to the wider life of the school as well as the co-curricular activity programme.
• Liaise with the Worldwise Alumni Network
Learning and Teaching Standards B
Additional Expectations A
The successful candidate would preferably have:
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in a related field
• Experience working in a similar position
• Familiarity with and understanding of recent developments in higher education
• Familiarity with and experience on applications to Higher Education admissions systems.
• Experience in an international school setting
• Complete fluency in English (equivalent to mother tongue)
• Technologically competent in basic resources and programmes: demonstrated experience with application platforms such as UCAS, Common Application, or MAIALearning
• Understanding of and experience working with non-native level English speaking students and parents
• Ability to communicate, work, and adapt in a multi-cultural setting
Additional Expectations B
We are committed to developing supportive and safe learning environments.
Dehong Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices which are aligned to the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection. We hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection. All appointments are subject to an interview, identity checks, criminal record checks, and successful references.
Dehong Shanghai Chinese International School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Primary School
Dehong Education Group is a dynamic and rapidly growing family of International Chinese schools in major cities in China. Dehong Shanghai opened in 2017 and is a sister school to the highly regarded Dulwich College International schools. ...