Malvern College Hong KongHong Kong
Contract type: Full Time
Contract term: Fixed Term
Start date: August 2021
Suitable for NQTs: No
Malvern College Hong Kong is an authorised IB PYP and MYP school and is a candidate school for the Diploma programme. MCHK currently has 800 pupils in Prep 1 to Hundred (Years 1-11). In August 2021, we expect to be close to 1000 pupils and look forward to welcoming our first Sixth Form Cohort.
With our first Sixth Form cohort starting in August 2021, the university and careers counsellor will play a key role supporting and preparing our Sixth Form students for the next stage of their educational journey. The successful applicant must have knowledge and expertise in supporting university applications to universities around the world. In early years the Sixth Form cohort will be relatively small, and therefore, the University and Careers Counsellor will need to carry a teaching commitment. Applicants should indicate in their letter of application which subject(s) they could offer.
As a Malvern College teacher the successful applicant will play a full role in the school’s curricular, co-curricular and pastoral programmes.
University and Careers Counselling
- Liaise closely with the Senior Management Team, DP co-ordinators and Sixth Form Tutors over matters relating to pupils.
- Guide and advise MYP and DP students and their parents on career and university options to ensure they are well informed and in a position to make informed choices;
- Build and deliver a programme of careers and university information sessions building through the Senior years;
- Support Sixth Form students in their preparation of university applications, ensuring all necessary documentation is in place and all deadlines met;
- Carefully track and monitor all applications and outcomes;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing with colleagues, universities, external agencies and parents, as required;
- Establish and co-ordinate opportunities for work experience and internships;
- Be available in the Summer to support students when results are published.
- Work closely with the MYP & DP Curriculum Co-ordinators and colleagues to ensure the effective delivery of the MYP & DP programmes and to design and implement a relevant, challenging and rigorous curriculum;
- Plan and deliver lessons in the relevant subject area, ensuring attention is given to appropriate differentiation;
- Contribute to collaborative learning at all levels of school life;
- Create inquiry-based classrooms that develop critical thinking skills, knowledge and a range of skills within an environment based on trust and respect;
- Select relevant resources and digital tools to support and enhance learning;
- Develop appropriate assessment tasks, providing timely and effective feedback that enhances pupils’ learning;
- Communicate effectively with pupils, parents and colleagues in a professional manner;
- Write personalised reports to inform parents of their son/daughter’s progress;
- Provide appropriate pastoral support as and when necessary;
- Contribute to the school’s Tutor and House systems as directed by the Head of Secondary;
- Attend Parents’ Meetings, Open Mornings, Admissions Days and Professional Development as appropriate and as requested by the Headmaster;
- Play an active role in the school’s co-curricular programme; and
- Assist with any other duties, tasks or jobs as may be reasonably requested by the Headmaster.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in relevant subject area;
- A recognised teaching qualification for the required age range (e.g. B.Ed., PGCE);
- A qualification or training in university and careers guidance is preferred;
- Previous experience in teaching in an IB world school, although outstanding candidates without prior IB experience will be considered;
- Proven experience of advising and supporting students with university applications internationally, particularly for universities in the UK and US;
- Minimum two years’ teaching experience in secondary years education;
- Knowledge of university application processes in different countries;
- Ability to communicate with pupils, colleagues and parents, and to build strong relationships with all members of the school community;
- Ability to work collaboratively;
- Strong written and communication skills;
- An appreciation of the IB Philosophy is required; prior IB training is required before taking up post at minimum Category 1 level;
- Sensitivity to the cultural differences found in Hong Kong and the willingness to develop and maintain a cross cultural approach to work; and
- A willingness and commitment to contribute fully to the life of the pupils and school beyond the academic day, including active participation in the academic enrichment and co-curricular programmes.
All applications should be submitted online via TES. You are required to complete your online profile and supporting statement and upload your CV with photo. You are also required to provide details of three referees.
Contract Type: Full time, Two Years
Start date: August 2021
Closing date: Interviews will be on a rolling basis and as such early applications are encouraged.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview via Skype or in person. Candidates may be contacted at any stage after submitting their applications.
Malvern College Hong Kong exists to provide a quality all round education for students and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks. Please note that we will need to take up the references provided in your application form prior to interview.
Please contact email@example.com for any queries about this role. Please note that a CV will not be accepted in place of the online application form.
For further information about Malvern College Hong Kong, please visit our website at http://www.malverncollege.org.hk/. To find out more about the Malvern College International family, please visit www.malverncollegeinternational.org
More about Malvern College Hong Kong
Type: Mainstream School
Funding status: Independent
Age Range: 5 - 16 years
Address: 3 Fo Chun Road, Pak Shek Kok, Tai Po, Hong Kong
Telephone: +852 852 3898 4699
Malvern College Hong Kong (MCHK) opened its doors to its first pupils in August 2018. This co-educational day school caters largely for international pupils, reflecting the truly multi-cultural nature of this vibrant city. Malvern College Hong ...