We are looking to appoint a qualified and talented senior leader as Vice Principal in our secondary education leadership team, joining a strong and supportive all through academy team. The successful applicant will work with the secondary education Head of Academy and Assistant Director to set challenging and aspirational academy targets.
The successful applicant will oversee the strategic management of data, assessment and target setting (including reporting achievement data to governors and external bodies as required), as well as working with the Head of Academy (secondary education) to set challenging and aspirational whole academy targets. You will lead on teaching, learning and assessment across the academy, providing the necessary Professional Learning opportunities to ensure the highest of standards are maintained in the classroom and in student outcomes.
Specific responsibilities will be discussed and determined at interview. As Vice Principal, you will be expected:
- To deputise for the Head of Academy, both in the academy and where appropriate in external meetings.
- To ensure there is seamless transition between all key stages at the academy.
- To ensure that the academy specialisms run throughout the academy successfully and effectively.
- To play a leading and highly visible role in the day-to-day management of the academy ensuring both the pastoral/academic success of all students across all faculty areas.
- To oversee standards and provision, identifying the strategic issues that need to be addressed by the academy Leadership Group.
- To work with the Head of Academy to establish a system of self-evaluation and review within the academy that will secure outstanding student achievement through the professional success of all staff. This will be supported by rigorous systems for monitoring, evaluation and review.
- To line manage Assistant Principals, ensuring that their academy responsibilities are of the highest standard.
What we are looking for:
- QTS (or equivalent) and an undergraduate degree;
- An experienced teacher with a proven track record of producing high quality achievements for all students
- Experience of involvement in assessment, student tracking and record keeping, including experience of effective data analysis and target-setting
- Evidence of successful working relationships with parents, governors, outside agencies and the local community
- Able to model and disseminate high quality teaching and learning;
- Has high expectations of staff and pupils as well as themselves;
- Is committed to achieving the best outcomes for all pupils;
- Is innovative, highly motivated and eager to take a lead;
- Is committed to on-going professional development;
- Is willing to contribute to the wider life at the academy;
- Has strong interpersonal skills and is able to work well as part of our Leadership team.
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
About Harris Garrard Academy
Harris Garrard Academy is an all-through 3–18 academy with approximately 1350 pupils on roll and joined the Harris Federation as a sponsored academy in September 2017. The academy is based in Thamesmead in a purpose built building. We are now on a journey towards “Outstanding”, led by highly experienced executive principals with proven track records of school transformation. Our vision is clear: nothing is impossible and everything is possible, irrespective of personal characteristics or background. Every problem has a solution. We believe we are more robust, resilient and determined as a team than as a group of individuals. We support, challenge and hold each other to account at all levels within the academy to ensure that our students achieve their potential, are motivated, engaged and fully prepared for life beyond our academy.
Why work at Harris Garrard Academy?
- The opportunity to be involved in the transformation of a school from the very start
- A stunning working environment, in a purpose-built school designed by Norman Foster and nominated for the Stirling Prize for architecture in 2004
- A highly motivated team, led by exceptionally experienced and talented senior leaders
- All the advantages of a successful academy group, with a strong central team of support, teaching and leadership staff
- Generous Harris rewards and benefits package
Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Garrard Academy are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 0208 320 4800 or email email@example.com to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Head of Academy.
As part of the Harris Federation, we can offer you a range of benefits, including:
- A network of fellow senior leaders and Principals with a wealth of knowledge and expertise
- Support and mentoring from some of the best executive leaders in education
- Unrivalled opportunities for leadership progression and preparing you for your first Principalship
- Pension scheme (TPS) and access to our Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan, covering a range of health and wellbeing benefits
- Plus, the opportunity to work with our amazing students!
Click here for a full list of Harris benefits.
The Harris Federation
Our academy is part of the Harris Federation, the leading large Multi Academy Trust in the country for both primary and secondary education. Harris has an unrivalled track record in raising standards and achieving success for the children in our academies.
Professional development and sharing best practice are a key part of the Harris Federation success, and we can draw on this to offer you top quality training at every stage of your career path, from Beginner Teacher to Middle Leader. We will invest in you with coaching, mentoring, and can offer a wide range of training programmes, delivered by our Teaching School Alliance.
We look for talented teachers who are passionate about their subject and making a difference. You can help us transform education in London, and create exceptional places of learning.
Please note: academies may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. You will still be able to add information until the closing date, but you will not be able to submit your application. With this in mind, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement. Harris Federation is fully committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education. Click here to view our full equality and diversity statement.