We are looking for an outstanding individual to join Harris Academy South Norwood as Vice Principal at our Beulah Hill campus.
Harris Academy South Norwood is an extremely popular 11-19 academy that has been judged Outstanding by OFSTED since 2010. We deliver a broad and challenging curriculum to all our students in a calm and well-ordered environment. We have high expectations of all members of the school community. This is reflected in our consistently high student performance at GCSE, progression to post 16 study at our sixth form and then on to some of the best universities in the country.
Harris Academy South Norwood is split over two campuses. Each campus has its own Principal, Leadership Team, Teachers and support staff. This means each child is well known and supported in a caring and supportive environment by staff that will really get to know them.
Both offer the same broad and balanced curriculum, but each campus does have a distinctive character. This role is based at our Beulah Hill site.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To oversee the strategic management of data, assessment and target setting, working with the Principal to set challenging and aspirational whole academy targets
- To lead on teaching, learning and assessment across the academy, providing the necessary Professional Learning opportunities to ensure the highest of standards are maintained in the classroom and in student outcomes
- To lead on effective behaviour and inclusion, ensuring that the needs of all students are met within and beyond the classroom
General Expectation of Academy Leadership Group
- Collaborate as a member of the academy Leadership Group to build and realise the shared vision of excellence and high standards for all
- To play a major role in determining strategy for the academy
- Contributing actively towards the formulation of all academy policies and procedures and ensuring their consistent implementation
- Agreeing challenging targets, ensuring rigorous monitoring, evaluation and review of progress towards these
- Ensuring high quality teaching and learning in line managed faculties
- To manage delegated budgets effectively
- To attend academy leadership meetings
- To engage in the process of appointing new staff
- Sharing in the management of student disciplinary incidents
- To actively participate in the monitoring evaluation and review of teaching and learning in line managed faculties
For a full job description and person specification, please download the job pack available via the apply link.
Qualifications & Experience
- Graduate (with a good degree)
- Qualified Teacher
- Minimum of three years at senior leadership level
- Experience of delivering high quality INSET to teaching staff
- Proven success in raising achievement as a subject leader across at least two key stages.
- Evidence of leading, supporting and managing others, both individuals and teams, ensuring high quality performance
- Successful experience of processes of monitoring, evaluation and review that provide performance data that can be used to improve the quality of teaching and learning
- Good level of ICT skills and experience of how new technologies can be used to raise achievement, including the use of interactive white boards
- Recent experience of involvement in innovative curriculum development
- Experience of presenting to a wide audience including teachers, managers, governors and parents
- Ideas of how Language, Literacy and Numeracy can be used across the curriculum to raise standards
- Experience of embedding innovative strategies for improving teaching and learning in a whole school situation
- Experience of managing and implementing change successfully at whole school level
- Experience of using coaching as a model for ensuring on going professional development particularly with subject leaders
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to the achievement of the academy’s overall vision for success at all levels
- Willingness to work hard
- Enthusiastic and Exceptional teacher, with a proven track record of excellent results in public examinations.
- Flexible, adaptable, results orientated, able to prioritise; resilient under pressure
- Awareness of and commitment to equal opportunities and valuing diversity
- To command and demand respect from the school community
- A commitment to “personalising learning” for all students in the academy
- Creativity and enthusiasm to promote a positive school image to the local and national community
- The aspirations, talent and enthusiasm to become a Principal
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris Academy South Norwood is an 11-18 Academy for 1,100 students that opened in September 2007, located in a purpose built, state-of-the-art new building.
Harris Academy South Norwood is an outstanding Academy and has excellent facilities for teac...