Kenton School’s motto sums up its values: “all different, all equal”, and we want them to be “all achieving.” With around 1,800 students coming from a variety of backgrounds across Newcastle upon Tyne, the school aims to recognise each of its students as an individual with their own talents, ambitions and needs.
Graded as ‘Requires Improvement’ by Ofsted in early 2019, the school has made many significant improvements. Our Post 16 provision is good with the sixth form growing steadily. We pride ourselves on offering a well-balanced curriculum, which was recognised at the TES Awards in 2019, when we were shortlisted for Creative School of the Year.
Whilst we have made progress, we have more to do; we have some stubborn under performance at Key Stage 4 and attendance continues to be a challenge; both of these require more rapid improvement. With our committed and passionate team and the addition of an exceptional new Vice Principal joining our core Headship Team leading on the Quality of Education, we will thrive.
We are seeking an outstanding candidate who leads by example through demonstrating best practice in all aspects of teaching, assessment and behaviour for learning.
If you are the person we are looking for, you will be able to demonstrate:
- a thorough understanding of the local and national issues surrounding the provision of secondary education, combined with the interpersonal, negotiation, influencing skills and professional credibility to positively engage all school stakeholders;
- excellent analytical skills and thrive on the use of a data as a key tool in identifying and responding to student under achievement;
- a proven track record of outstanding leadership at either Assistant or Vice Principal level;
- demonstrable experience driving performance improvements in a curriculum or core leadership area;
- an ability to think and act strategically with sensitivity to organisational and wider political priorities to deliver high-quality outcomes;
- an ability to present views and opinions in discussion which contribute to positive outcomes including the ability to challenge, give feedback and accept feedback constructively;
- a proven track record of people, resource and financial management;
- the ability to demonstrate high expectations and to instil these in others.
Most importantly, however, we are seeking candidates with an absolute commitment to our core aim of ensuring that all students within Kenton School achieve their potential, whatever their barriers, background, social status, gift or need.
This is a challenging role, but an exciting one, joining us on the cusp of some transformational change. In return, we offer the opportunity to play a key role in shaping the future of Kenton School and our wider Trust.
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Sarah Holmes-Carne, Principal on 0191 214 2205.
Supporting information is available to download below. To apply, please click on Quick Apply where you will be taken to the application form.
Closing date: Noon on 7th April 2020.
Kenton Schools Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in all our schools and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We are fully committed to ensuring that consistent effective safeguarding procedures are in place to support families, children and staff at school.