Reports to: Principal
Start date: 01 September 2021
Location: Ark Globe Academy
Salary: Ark Leadership Pay Scale: L22- L26
The exact role and specific responsibilities of each Vice Principal will be agreed annually and will change regularly, to afford each member of the Academic Leadership Team the opportunity to gain experience in all aspects of academy leadership in preparation for Headship.
Each Vice Principal should be prepared to lead on such areas as curriculum development, timetabling, tracking and analysis of results/data, behaviour management, external relations and community links, staff development, training, and induction. As members of the senior leadership team, the Vice Principals will also be centrally involved in the overall leadership and management of the academy and will help to establish an academy culture that is both nurturing and rigorous.
• To support colleagues, including all other members of the Leadership Team, in their work for the development and improvement of the academy
• To support and contribute to the process of writing, implementing, evaluating, and reviewing the annual Academy Development Plan, with understanding of its position and relevance in the cycle of academy resourcing, improvement and long-term planning
• Alongside the Principal, to ensure the safeguarding of all pupils, and that the safety and wellbeing of pupils and staff is promoted and maintained at all times
• To contribute significantly to the culture and ethos of the academy and ensure policies are routinely followed.
Outcomes and Activities
Leadership and Management
• To share responsibility for the management of the academy and to contribute to the consultative and decision-making processes including the formulation of aims and objectives
• To actively promote the academy and liaise with outside agencies as necessary, representing the Principal, the academy, or Ark Schools as appropriate
• To contribute to discussions and decisions at Academy Leadership Team meetings
• To offer information, advice, and perspective to the governing body and to any legitimate external enquiry/evaluation
• To communicate and consult with staff, students, parents, and members of the local community as necessary
• To manage staff and resources, ensuring that policies and procedures are adhered to
• In the absence of the Principal, to step-up and undertake the professional duties of the Principal as reasonably delegated.
Academy Ethos and Culture
• To maintain a high-profile presence around the academy to ensure that the highest standards of behaviour and site-usage are upheld, to contribute to overview and review of student behaviour and to participate in the regular whole-academy supervisory duties fulfilled on a scheduled basis by the Leadership Team
• To be active in issues of staff and student welfare and support
• To demonstrate a commitment to Equality of Opportunity for all members of the academy’s community.
Teaching and Learning
• To identify strategies for raising the attainment of students and to work towards these identified and agreed goals
• Support the training and development of teaching staff to improve the quality of teaching and raise the level of challenge in lessons
• Use regular assessments to monitor progress and set targets, and respond accordingly to the results of such monitoring
• Ensure that all pupils achieve at chronological age level or, if well below level, make significant and continuing progress towards achieving at level
• To maintain a teaching timetable, modelling outstanding practice in terms of classroom teaching, preparation, marking and assessment.
• Undertake, and when required, deliver or be part of the appraisal system and relevant training and professional development
• To undertake any other responsibilities as directed by the Executive Principal.
This job description sets out the main duties of the post at the time of drafting. It cannot be read as an exhaustive list. These responsibilities will be discussed annually as part of the post holder’s annual performance review and are subject to change. However, it may be altered at any time subject to need in consultation with the post holder subject to the Executive Principal’s approval.
Person Specification: Vice Principal
• Qualified to degree level and above
• Qualified to teach and work in the UK
• Evidence of being an outstanding teacher
• Experience of implementing behaviour management strategies consistently and effectively
• Experience of leading successful enrichment and extracurricular activities which inspire and motivate learners
• Up to date knowledge in their curriculum area and pastoral provision
• An understanding of what an outstanding education looks like in the classroom
• An understanding of the strategies needed to establish consistently high expectations
Behaviours and attitude
• Model professionalism and high expectations at all times
• Contribute to the coordination of vision and strategy for the academy
• Demonstrates resilience, motivation and commitment to driving up standards of achievement
• Evidence of the skills and competencies to develop effective relationships with parents, the community and other stakeholders
Leadership and Management
• Contributed to and deliver the vision for the school so that it is owned by all staff, students and parents
• Effective leadership of pastoral care and student well-being to achieve improved outcomes for students
• Initiated and lead on projects and programmes that have ensured challenging objectives have been met
• Experience of line managing staff to ensure high levels of consistency and leadership
• Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every student
• Motivation to continually improve standards and achieve excellence
• Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of all students
Teaching and Learning
• Consistently teaches excellent lessons that motivate, inspire and improve student attainment
• Use regular assessments to monitor progress and set targets, and respond accordingly to the results of such monitoring and apply this process to your line management
• Ensured that all students, irrespective of their starting point, made exceptional academic progress
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Ark Globe Academy
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
In 2008 Geoffrey Chaucer Secondary and Joseph Lancaster Primary school merged to join the Ark network as Ark Globe Academy. Ark Globe Academy is a mixed all through school with student age ranging from 3-18.
At Ark Globe Academy we have the highest a...