Hours: 37 hours per week, 39 weeks
Salary: £19,554 - £21,166 FTE
Inspire their remarkable with us
Visits are welcome at Sir Herbert Leon Academy
We are looking to appoint a Welfare Officer who will implement a comprehensive range of administrative systems and procedures to meet school requirements for effective student welfare and to develop systems that will enable the school to improve on base figures on attendance and truancy as set by the Government and the academy. We are looking for someone who is able to inspire and assist students to achieve their very best at a personal and academic level.
This is an exciting time to join Sir Herbert Leon Academy. After our recent Ofsted visit we have moved to Requires Improvement with ’Good’ for Leadership & Management, Personal Development, Behaviour & Welfare and Post 16.
With our ‘broad and balanced’ curriculum as well as ‘pupils behaving well in lessons, break and lunchtimes’ being recognised by Ofsted, Sir Herbert Leon Academy is very much a school on its way to ‘Good’.
We know we still have work to do to ensure that all our students enjoy a rich and successful time with us and your role is crucial in helping us achieve this.
In this role, you will:
- Act as first point of contact for general parent/pupil/visitor enquiries, responding within standard procedures or referring the enquiry to an appropriate destination.
- Initiate and carry out periodical post-registration truancy checks.
- Chase up reasons for absence using agreed systems.
- Provide advice and support for students returning to school after a long period of absence.
- Be available to staff and parents for home visits on individual pupils.
- Provide regular updates for staff, e.g. Principal, Vice Principal, Senior Head of Year/Headds of Year and Tutors, on student attendance with targets and strategies for improvement.
- Participate in the development of school reward systems in relation to attendance.
- Ensure that school registration systems are developed and correctly administered and report on the quality of the registers.
- Produce and interpret statistical data relating to attendance patterns of groups within the school.
- We passionately believe that every child can discover their own remarkable life. It’s what motivates us around here. We know this vision requires something extra. Which is why at AET, you’ll find more. More opportunities, so you can forge your own path. More care and support, so you can prioritise what matters most. More purpose, for you and for the children we’re inspiring.
- More training and development, so you can get better at what you do - Varied and stretching continuous professional development opportunities.
- More support for you and your loved ones - A health cash plan, employee loans and savings scheme, discounted gym membership and employee assistance programme.
- More technology so you can make more impact - G Suite for Education embedded throughout. Collaborative cloud technology gives you access to the latest tools, when and where it suits you. More tech enabled classrooms mean less time spent on admin.
- More reward - A generous and flexible Local Government Pension scheme for support staff.
- More possibilities - To inspire children to find their remarkable.
Closing Date: Monday 09 December 2019
Start Date: As soon as possible
Interviews are scheduled to take place as soon as possible after the closing date.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response. All candidates are advised to refer to the job description and person specification before making an application.
In line with our safeguarding practices we are unable to accept CVs. For further information on this position and to make an application please complete our application form on our website: www.shlacademy.org/vacancies or click the 'Quick Apply' button below.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate will be required for all posts. This post will be subject to enhanced checks as part of our Prevent Duty.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linkedin. Further details can be found on our careers page.