To work with the Senior Leadership Group on the strategic development of the academy, with a particular focus on further strengthening the positive climate for learning to ensure the continued growth and success of the academy.
Please note that this job description should be read in conjunction with the National Core Standards for Teachers for main-scale post holders, and the post-threshold standards where applicable.
You may be deployed in other White Rose Academies Trust locations within a reasonable distance from your main place of work from time to time; you will be compensated for your additional travel costs.
• To take a lead role in ensuring there is a high standard of behaviour around the academy at all times;
• To take a lead on the organisation of morning, break, lunch and after school duties, on-call, and seclusion senior warnings rotas as required;
• To deliver assemblies in line with the Values Curriculum and promote the high expectations of students attitudes to learning at all times;
• To ensure that any data relevant to responsibilities is checked for accuracy and carefully analysed before actions are put in place, and that all actions are carefully monitored to evaluate the impact; to develop and improve the academy’s data management systems.
• To support the academy with all key events, including Open Evenings;
• To respond to parental queries and complaints as directed by the Principal/Senior Vice Principal
• To line manage wider leaders at the discretion of the Principal; 2
• To challenge underperformance within the behavioural team, and to take a role in supporting underperforming staff, as required by the Principal;
• To report to the Principal and Local Accountability Board on areas of responsibility as required.
Duties specific to the role:
· Under the supervision of the Senior Vice Principal, oversee the ‘Positive Behaviour’ policy at the academy;
· Take on-going responsibility for the Leeds West Academy’s approach to standards of behaviour and related expectations in lessons and around the academy;
· Secure and sustain high standards of behaviour from students in order to support their learning;
· Through rigorous monitoring, analysis and review processes provide a half termly report on the progress, attendance and behaviour of all students to both the senior team and governing body, and Ofsted as necessary;
· Ensure that all professionals within the academy execute their duties to a high standard;
· Implement and develop effective policies and processes to ensure all students are free from bullying and know how to stay safe;
· Ensure all opportunities are taken to implement restorative justice programmes to support students in better behaviour within Positive Behaviour protocols;
· Appropriate attitudes to learning, expectations and aspirations of students are improved through the use of student voice and student leadership programmes;
· Proper oversight is maintained of arrangements for managed moves including direct liaison with other senior leaders in schools;
· Ensure that students joining the academy ‘mid-term’ are fully supported and integrated into the academy community;
· Develop and co-ordinate internal and external alternative provision to support students in better behaviour, outcomes and re-entry into mainstream education by working closely with partner schools, academies and colleges to achieve better provision in the locality;
· Oversee Moved room and Inclusion rooms/Internal Exclusion Unit/Planned intervention/Ed Classroom. Make sure detailed reports are completed accurately for each student that enters Inclusion;
· Maintain a key oversight of the attendance and behaviour of all students who repeatedly breach the academy’s behaviour policy and ensure bespoke intervention strategies are in place to modify behaviour;
· Be accountable for achieving the academies targets in relation to the reduction of isolation referrals and fixed term exclusions;
· Support the academy initiatives around developing student leadership
Leeds West Academy – Leading in Learning
Leeds West Academy is an over-subscribed 11-18 school. Thriving in a state of the art building with stunning views over the River Aire, our Academy is committed to delivering an outstanding education to each and every one of our students. We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society. Our vision at Leeds West Academy is clear: we will be Ofsted rated as outstanding within three years.
Closing date: Wednesday 31st January 2018 at 12 noon
Interviews: Monday 5th February
Start Date: Monday 16th April 2018 (Easter)