The Learning Mentor and Inclusion Lead will have a key role in supporting and providing guidance to students who experience difficulties due to social, emotional and behavioural problems. Your role will be to ensure that our boys receive the highest possible standards of care and education ensuring that they are safe, secure and successful.
The successful candidate will take the lead in supervising, managing the behaviour of and providing pastoral support for boys in our Inclusion Suite. This will include ensuring that appropriate systems are implemented to track, monitor and evaluate student behaviour.
Additionally, you will also be responsible for all admin duties in the School’s Inclusion Suite. This will involve using school systems (Class Charts, SIMs) and Excel spreadsheets to monitor and track student behaviour, sending letters and making phone calls to parents and liaising with teaching staff.
We are looking for someone who has the ability to be authoritative as well as establish firm but fair relationships with students.
This job description may not necessarily be a comprehensive definition of the post. It will be reviewed as appropriate and may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the holder of the post.
• Liaise with staff to identify learners who would benefit from mentoring
• Support learners who are under performing in their subjects, either on a one-to-one basis outside the classroom or within lessons
• Implement strategies to support learning in self-esteem and confidence-building activities
• Listen to and help learners explore a range of issues that are creating barriers to learning
• Draw up agreed action plans with learners, outlining the aims of mentoring and monitoring their progress
• Monitor attendance and punctuality of learners you work with
• Liaise with parents on behaviour strategies
• Manage your own professional development through undertaking relevant training and sharing best practice
• Support with the reintegration of students who have been absent/out of lessons
• Provide information and advice to enable learners to make choices about their own learning, behaviour and attendance
• Maintain records
• Liaise with external agencies as appropriate
• Manage and supervise students on Internal Exclusion ensuring that appropriate work has been set
• Implement reintegration programmes and follow - up support for reintegrated students
• Manage reintegration plans ensuring that staff/student meetings take place and targets are monitored
• Ensure reintegration plans and pastoral support plans are implemented for relevant students
• Design and deliver coping strategies for students so that they can experience success in the classroom without causing disruption
• Manage and/or implement behaviour intervention for students including behaviour modification programmes
• Work alongside the HoYs to lead on the school’s approach to restorative justice & behaviour mentoring
• Produce a Report of a student's time in internal exclusion
• Work in partnership with Heads of Year and other stake holders to ensure best outcomes for students
• Work in partnership with the SENCo in supporting the behaviour of students with SEN
• Liaise with external agencies and partners
• Track and monitor student behaviour identifying students at risk of disengagement and implementing, in collaboration with colleagues, interventions to support
• Have oversight of the School’s detention system
• Supervise the daily late detention and assist in the implementation of the schools' punctuality system.
• Act as 1:1 mentor
• Investigate incidents as required including interviewing students.
• Keep clear records of the incident and action taken
• Undertake Restorative Justice meetings between students and staff
• Provide support and guidance in relation to serious behaviour incidents
• Provide guidance to staff regarding behaviour management and BfL
• Provide support to teachers in class with challenging students
• Assist AHT with CPD relating to BfL
• Maintain a central record of students on CAFs, PSPs.
• Support HoY in completing CAFs, PSPs and attend meetings.
• Produce a weekly behaviour report for each year group and action outcomes as per BfL policy.
• Attend reintegration meetings following exclusions.
• Design support programmes for students following inclusion and exclusions.
• Lead and deliver behaviour support programmes, e.g. social skills, anger management, etc. to staff and students.
• Ensure the orderly organisation of Inclusion suite and its facilities
• Undertake any other duties or training as required by the Headteacher/Deputy Headteacher (or her representative) commensurate with the general level of responsibilities of the post.