Academy: Leeds West Academy
Job Title: Behaviour Support Officer
Grade: C1.12 - .17 £21,589 - £23,836 per annum, pro rata, (actual salary £18,383 - £20,296 per annum)
Hours/Weeks: 37 hours a week, Term time only plus 10 days (40 weeks)
Accountable to: Behaviour & Attendance Leader
Leeds West Academy is a school with a remarkable sense of community which has created a strong and safe culture, where staff and students can thrive. We were judged as ‘Good’ by Ofsted in May 2019 because teaching is strong, the support we provide for our students and staff is unrivalled and because our results have improved year-on-year since 2016. This year, our students secured the best results in the school’s history. In short, there is no better time to join Leeds West Academy, as a colleague, a leader or as a student.
Leeds West Academy is a fabulous place to work, benefitting from world-class facilities and is accommodated in a £30 million building, which opened in late 2011. We are caring and supportive and, as part of the White Rose Academies Trust and ground-breaking Luminate Education Group, we benefit from exceptional CPD like no other in the City. A broad, varied and highly bespoke package is well-established, driven by the latest in educational research focused on the development of all professionals in the organisation at each career stage. Colleagues train with us, they grow with us and they progress with us.
We are looking to recruit a Behaviour Support Officer to join our Personal Development, Behaviour and Welfare team providing effective support to ensure that high standards of behaviour are maintained to underpin good academic development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To consistently promote and uphold the academy behaviour policy, in keeping with academy values.
- To supervise and support students ensuring access to learning, encouraging independence and positive behaviour.
- Support with the development and implementation of Individual Education/Behaviour Plans and Personal Care programmes.
- To establish productive working relationships with students, acting as a role model, providing support, encouragement, guidance and assistance for learning, being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs.
- To encourage students to reflect on their behaviour and to accept responsibility for their actions, advocating restorative processes where appropriate.
- To be a member of the on call duty team, attending lessons where support is needed.
- To encourage effective learning and promote high standards of achievement, behaviour & discipline.
- To promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students, seeking appropriate and impactful methods to support students in improving their behaviour.
- To be aware of student problems/progress/achievements and report to the relevant member of staff.
- To undertake and maintain regular student record keeping, including logging behaviour incidents/attendance issues on SIMs/Behaviour Watch.
- To establish constructive relationships with parents/carers, exchanging information, facilitating their support for their child’s attendance, behaviour and access to learning.
- To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- To assist with the supervision of students out of lesson times, including before and after school and at lunchtimes.
- To accompany teaching staff and students on visits, trips and out of the academy activities as required.
The successful candidates will have experience of supporting young learners in an organisational setting, along with experience of improving behaviour of groups of students & supporting students to overcome a range of personal barriers. They will also have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with a wide range of young people.
Part of The White Rose Academies Trust - the most rapidly improved family of schools in the region - Leeds West Academy was rated Good by Ofsted in May 2019 and is now on a journey to becoming World Class.
We're securing our vision for World Class by growing our family of exceptional education professionals; dedicated specialists and passionate leaders with the shared goal of transforming future prospects for the next generation in West Yorkshire.
We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society.
The White Rose Academies Trust is a local Trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The Trust employs almost 400 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation.
We benefit hugely from our sponsor, Leeds City College which, along with the White Rose Academies Trust, is part of the Luminate Education Group. Other members of the group include Leeds College of Music, Keighley College and Harrogate College. Our sponsor provides leadership and operational support and advice to all our academies. They also share our vision of creating a truly outstanding Trust.
Closing Date: 21st January 2020 – 12 noon
Shortlisting: 21st January 2020
Interview Date : Between 23rd January 2020 and 28th January 2020, exact date to be confirmed
Start Date: ASAP
To apply, please complete the application form by the closing date of Tuesday 21st January 2020 – 12noon. Please note we are unable to accept CV’s.
The White Rose Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to Safer Recruitment Procedures and a DBS check.
PLEASE NOTE THE REQUIREMENT TO ATTACH YOUR APPLICATION FORM AS A SEPARATE DOCUMENT TO YOUR EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FORM WHEN EMAILING YOUR APPLICATION TO US.