Commencing Date: Monday, 15 March 2021
Salary Range: $33.56 - $35.19 per hour pending experience
Classification: Part Time, Term Time, Fixed Term Contract
Hours: 11 hours across 2 days
Closing Date: Monday, 08 March 2021
St John Bosco Catholic School, Collinsville is a co-educational Catholic school located in Collinsville. The school has 50 students from Prep to Year six, delivering quality education in a small, close-knit environment.
Townsville Catholic Education supports a diverse region extending from Townsville to the Burdekin and Whitsunday regions in the south, and north to Ingham and Halifax, south-west to Winton, and west to the border with the Northern Territory, encompassing Mount Isa and several small, isolated western towns and east to Palm Island.
Townsville Catholic Education provides a supportive, flexible working environment where care for the individual is an important part of our ethos. We employ motivated people who want to work together to produce excellent outcomes for our students. Our staff is recognised as being central to achieving our mission.
About the role
St John Bosco Catholic School is seeking applications from an enthusiastic and suitably qualified Chaplain. This role is a Term Time position completing 11 hours across 2 days each week on a Fixed Term Contract until the completion of the 2021 school year.
The role of the Chaplain is to work in collaborative partnership with the school community to provide pastoral and spiritual support to students. The Chaplain works to create opportunities for faith development of students and advance the religious life of the college community. The Chaplain will foster the experience of Catholic community within the College and engage the community in social justice and social action. The Chaplain encourages and facilitates connections with Church/faith communities and agencies.
- Provide pastoral and spiritual support to students:
- Spend informal time with students (e.g. playground, classroom and excursions)
- Mentor and provide practical support to students during their transition to adulthood.
- Engage students in opportunities for faith development:
- Coordinate and facilitate reflection and prayer experiences (e.g. reflection days, retreats, forums, meetings and other similar experiences)
- Contribute to the organisation of major school liturgies and celebrations.
- Advance the religious life of the school community:
- Contribute to the development and promotion of Catholic ethos within the college
- Foster the experience of Catholic community within the school:
- Support events that promote the collegiate spirit of the school
- Under the direction of the Principal, initiate contact with families of the school community (e.g. families experiencing sickness, families new to the college experiencing hardship).
- Engage the school community in social justice and social action:
- Make information available to students around issues of social justice support and resource service groups within the school
- Encourage and facilitate connections with church/faith communities and agencies:
- Encourage student involvement in parish faith communities
- Facilitate ecumenical and inter-faith relationships and activities.
- Undertake ongoing professional learning:
- Participate in TCE facilitated programs for professional learning
- Contribute to local cluster gatherings of Chaplains.
- Generalist administration support:
- Maintain relevant records and data.
- Any other task as reasonability directed.
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills to balance competing priorities
- Experience in providing ministry and spiritual support and wellbeing services students
- Experience in the provision of support to children and young people and their families to address social and emotional needs.
- Ability to liaise with community service organisations, government agencies and other services
- Ability to support the college and teachers to identify and develop educational, social and emotional programs to support children and young people
- Ability to support the ethos and values of Catholic Education
- Ability to develop and sustain productive working relationships.
- Sound understanding of the Mission and Purpose of Catholic Education and to developing an understanding of religious and values education in young people
- Willingness to work and collaborate with students, staff and college
- Current Working with Children Suitability Card - The successful candidate will require a paid Blue Card before commencement as per the No Card, No Start policy developed by Queensland Government.
- Certificate IV in Youth Work, Chaplaincy or Pastoral Care or equivalent or higher qualification – this qualification must include competencies in ‘making appropriate referrals’ and mental heath
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Ability to travel from time to time within the Catholic Diocese of Townsville
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the role in a safe manner.
- Interest in ongoing professional development
- Experience in the education or Catholic sectors.
Some employees may be subject to pre-employment medical assessments during the selection process. Depending on the nature of the position, it may be necessary for successful applicants to be immunised against certain preventable diseases in order to minimise the risk of transmission.
What we offer
- Competitive Salary starting: $33.56 - $35.19 per hour pending experience
- Annual Leave with 17.5% leave loading (pro rata)
- Salary packaging options
- Modern facilities, equipment and resources
- Superannuation up to 12.75% employer contribution (in a co-contribution arrangement)
- Access to long service leave after 7 years of continuous service
- 14 Weeks’ paid parental leave
- Deferred Salary Scheme
- Corporate health insurance
- Induction, professional development and learning opportunities
- Well-being programs and initiatives
How to apply
- Complete the application form
- Upload a cover letter addressing the skills, attributes and experience to support the key accountabilities of the role identified in the position description
- Upload a current resume including contact details (phone and email of two professional referees
Please see the Position Description for more information.
Applications during the shortlisting phase will be kept confidential.
Applications close 5pm Monday, 08 March 2021.
Diocese of Townsville Catholic Education