Counsellor required for September 2019 or earlier by mutual agreement at the Qatar Petroleum Schools based in Dukhan in Qatar.
Are you an outstanding Counsellor, passionate about making a positive difference to the lives of children? If so, we have a unique opportunity for an ambitious, highly motivated counsellor to join one of our fast developing schools, both committed to shaping the future by providing a high quality, international education for all our young people.
As the education arm of Qatar Petroleum, we are searching for outstanding professionals who are eager to work for a company who are world leaders in the Oil and Gas Industry.
Our schools are internationally focused and both are seen as important hubs for the communities they serve, educating approximately 1250 children from 3 to 18 years of age, and representing over 30 different nationalities and 50 languages. The schools enjoy state-of-the-art purpose built premises that are well equipped to support excellent teaching and learning opportunities. We are delivering an innovative and globally relevant secondary curriculum, which has the English National Curriculum and QP values at its heart.
Our vision is for our students to be high achieving, healthy and happy individuals, well prepared to take their place as global citizens and leaders of the future. Our mission is to achieve this by inspirational teaching that places high value on learning, enjoyment and the well-being of all our students. To help deliver this we are seeking a top quality, practitioner who is an example to staff, students and parents in terms of:
- High personal standards of practice
- Providing a caring and supportive environment to explore concerns
- Excellent and up to date knowledge of student counselling practices
- Supporting the agenda of high expectations of pupil achievement
- Commitment and professionalism
- Organisational and operational skills
Primary Purpose of the job
- To carry out the professional duties of a student support counsellor supporting the wellbeing needs of students as circumstances may require and in accordance with the school's and QPs policies under the direction of the school Principal
- To be an effective professional who liaises with QP Medical Staff in providing relevant advice for staff and parents regarding the wellbeing of students as well as sign-posting appropriate support from outside agencies.
- To have a secure knowledge and understanding of the concepts and skills in counselling children and young people, being able to respond to personal, social, emotional or educational concerns.
- To be able to provide a caring and supportive environment where concerns can be explored.
- Show commitment to QP’s Vision, Values and Strategy as well as the vision, ethos and policies of the school in order to promote wellbeing throughout the school.
- Work within the codes of practice as recommended by the British Association of Counsellors and Psychologists (BACP), or equivalent organisation.
- To contribute to the Personal, Social and Health Education programme within the school.
- To observe all health and safety rules and guidance and to take all reasonable care to promote the health and safety at work of yourself, other staff and pupils.
- To be aware of all Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures within the school and to take appropriate action if required.
- To liaise, where appropriate and with the student’s consent, with other members of staff to ensure that students receiving counselling can be supported in all areas of school life;
- Collaborate, cooperate and support roles of colleagues, particularly the School Nurse and pastoral teams in supporting the wellbeing of students.
- Maintain strong links of communication with parents and the wider community
Decision Making Authority
Under the supervision of the designated Senior Leader, make recommendations about student wellbeing for both individual students and for whole school policy and procedure.
Context / Special Features / Challenges
As well as carrying out the above duties the post holder is required to develop and maintain good relationships between home and school, identifying and organising opportunities for activities which contribute to the wellbeing agenda.
The post holder is also expected to comply with any reasonable request from the school management to undertake tasks not specified in this job description.
It is understood that areas of responsibility are from time to time subject to review and are negotiable in the light of the needs of the school and the professional development of the staff.
This job description may be reviewed at the end of the academic year or earlier if necessary. In addition it may be amended at any time after consultation with you.
Qualifications / Knowledge / Skills / Experience
The post holder must have a first degree and a recognised qualification in counselling and experience of working with children and young people.
The post holder must have a minimum of three years prior relevant experience in a similar setting.
The post holder must be committed to their own personal and professional development in fulfilling the role, ensuring that as a counsellor the post holder accesses regular supervision.
Dukhan is a purpose built town on the West coast of Qatar that is populated by QP staff and their children. We are a community school that has been operating since 1954, offering a British style education to a wide variety of students.
The school has an amazing international ethos and is honoured to be at the centre of our Dukhan community, educating approximately 1400 children from 3 to 18 years of age, representing over 30 different nationalities.
In return for your passion in ensuring a dynamic and high quality education for our students, successful candidates will enjoy the full benefits of working for Qatar Petroleum. This includes generous tax-free salaries, free accommodation and utilities, interest free car loan, education assistance for up to four children, medical cover, airfares, paid school holidays and excellent sporting and leisure facilities.
If you would like to join our team and make a real difference to the education of our children, please apply immediately with a one page letter of application, a full CV and a recent photograph, to: QP.email@example.com
Please apply immediately with a one page letter of application, a full CV and a recent photograph, and should include the following information for VISA purposes.
1) Date of birth 2) Marital status 3) Your Nationality 4) No of dependents 5) If applicable the Nationality of your Wife/Husband/ Nationality of your children 6) QTS Status
Please send your letter of application, your CV and a recent photograph to QP.firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information please call Penny Kontopyrghou on +44 (0)20 7259 8771 or +447595 968 600.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and short-listed applicants will be contacted once applications have been reviewed.
Dukhan English School is part of Qatar Petroleum who have another school within Qatar. Please note that your application could be considered for this school.