Director of Music
Full-time, permanent role from September 2021 or January 2022
Competitive salary with accommodation or an allowance provided.
Located in Farnham Royal, South Buckinghamshire
Caldicott is one of the country’s most prestigious Independent Boarding and Day Preparatory Schools for Boys. We are a flourishing school with around 250 boys from 7 to 13 years old, with a five-day week in Year 3 & Year 4, Saturday School from Year 5 and all boys weekly board in Year 7 & Year 8. We deliver a first-class education, sporting provision and a rich variety of music, drama, arts and extracurricular opportunities in a friendly and supportive working environment. The school is only twenty miles from central London in a beautiful location.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an able and inspiring person to lead our highly successful Music Department. This full time position is for a person who has a degree in music (or equivalent) and qualified teacher status. The purpose of the role is to inspire boys in the pursuit of both the classical and choral tradition, alongside more contemporary music, including music technology.
In particular, the successful candidate will:
• be a dynamic and inspiring Head of Department who is adept at communicating an ambitious creative vision for prep school music with accompanying plans in support of the aims of the school;
• have excellent interpersonal skills, resilience and energy;
• ensure a thriving ‘music for all’ culture alongside developing top talent, rigorously supporting visiting music teachers and colleagues to achieve both;
• have a passion for the value of music in a prep school as part of the ‘all-rounder’ Caldicott experience and the strength of character to communicate this effectively to all stake holders;
• have the aptitude to lead future developments in music, including tours and have the broad range of management and organisational skills needed to deliver highly successful events, ranging from major whole school musical concerts to low key warm and friendly celebration of boys’ early steps in music;
• be a highly competent administrator, adept at using technology, to ensure the delivery of a music timetable, class music, a music practice schedule and accurate information sharing with both the Senior Deputy Head and Bursary.
This important role works alongside the Head of Drama and others with a shared passion for the performing arts, in a mutually supportive and collaborative way. An ability to teach a second, core subject would be advantageous.
All Year 7 & 8 either weekly or full board so boarding is an important part of our culture and over 95% of boys leave at 13+ to the UK’s top boarding schools. The successful candidate must show a desire to play a full and active role, including contributions to pastoral care and extra-curricular activities.
Caldicott is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Caldicott Preparatory School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Primary School
- Boys school with students of age 7 - 13 years
Caldicott is a thriving day and boarding country prep school for boys aged 7 – 13 in South Buckinghamshire. Situated in 40 acres of magnificent grounds, we are just 15 miles from Heathrow Airport and 30 minutes from West London. We pride ...