Are you calm, enthusiastic and a suitably qualified Accountant with experience of working in the education sector?
Then this will be the job for you.
We are looking to appoint a Finance Director with education experience at a senior level to manage and develop our Finance and Estates functions.
We are advertising this role as all year round and 37 hours per week.
Reporting to the Head Teacher the successful candidate will be an integral part of the school senior leadership team. With a revenue budget of approximately £8m, and around 1,500 pupils our education provision is largely funded through government grant. We also generate income by letting our premises to local organisations. Over the last five years we have been successful in bidding for capital funds and these have allowed us to expand and improve our facilities for the benefit of all our pupils. We are especially proud of our purpose built 6th Form Centre named after the Batley and Spen MP Jo Cox, a £1.5 million project that was managed by the outgoing Finance Director.
To be considered for this post accountancy qualifications are essential as is experience of working in a school in a senior finance role. Preferably in an academy setting. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of budget management, long term strategic planning and financial modelling. The academy is in a very strong financial position but like other schools, we face significant financial challenges, we are confident that the right candidate will continue to manage these effectively.
This is a very exciting time to be joining us, the team is a relatively new one and improvements in the ways we do things are being developed. We are looking for a candidate who will support us in the modernisation of the department. The Finance Team is made up of the Finance Director, an Assistant Finance Director, 2 Finance Officers and 1 Payroll Officer. We run our own payroll and we pride ourselves in the provision of a high quality financial support service. Our clients include students, teachers, governors and operational staff but we also work with a wide range of suppliers and external agencies such as the ESFA. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate their experience of working at a senior level with external agencies.
This is a complex and at times very challenging role which requires the post-holder to handle multiple work streams simultaneously. The post-holder will need to be well organised and motivated to ensure that our high standards are maintained. We manage our own estates functions and are in the process of outsourcing the catering function. The successful candidate will also be responsible for managing the site team and the catering contract.
• A qualified accountant with strong financial modelling skills
• Senior level experience in the education sector, preferably in an
• Proven track record in obtaining best value for money
• Long term strategic planning
• Strong mathematical and spreadsheet skills
• Experience of liaising with external agencies
• A good standard of literacy
• Able to work under pressure and prioritise own workload
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to remain calm under pressure
• Work well as part of a team, as well as on your own initiative
• Honesty and integrity
• A flexible and open attitude to change
Specific responsibilities are set out in a detailed job description.
In return we can offer:
• Interesting work as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team
• A learning-centred school where the best possible practice is the
• The opportunity to develop personally and professionally
• A vibrant, supportive community of like-minded individuals
What Will You Bring To The Role?
• Ability to streamline systems and procedures
• A calm, methodical and accurate approach to your work
• Ability to communicate effectively with staff and students at all levels
• Energy and enthusiasm
• Suitability to work with young people
Why Should You Apply?
Heckmondwike Grammar School is an outstanding school with very high educational outcomes at GCSE and A Level. Students are eager to learn, keen to know more and enjoy their educational experiences. We work effectively with our young people, really care about them and their futures and have an ultimate success measure of enabling them to proceed to where they want to go. Excellent relationships between staff and students are the norm, expectations are high and students perform very well as a consequence.
In return, we offer membership of the local government pension scheme and other well-being benefits.
Further information about the school is available on the school website www.heckgrammar.co.uk
To arrange a visit before applying, please contact Louise Daddy, HR Director on 01924 402202 or email@example.com.