We are looking to appoint a dedicated and resourceful individual as Finance Officer to oversee financial duties across Harris Primary Academy Purley Way . This role is likely to suit a qualified individual with previous professional finance experience or equivalent.
This role will also involve reception duties.
The working hours for this role will be 8:15am-4:30pm, with a 45 minute lunch break.
Harris Primary Academy Purley Way has been open since 2016 and is Ofsted rated Outstanding in all areas. At full capacity there will be 21 classes from Reception to Year 6. We opened with a Reception cohort and are growing by a year group at a time with currently over 350 pupils on roll from Reception to Year 5. The whole community strive for Harris Primary Academy Purley Way to be the best it can possibly be which is encapsulated by our vision statement: “Excellence for All”.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- Creating purchase orders
- Obtaining authorisation, coding and posting purchase invoices
- Checking of all deliveries to the Academy
- Raising cheques/BACS for purchase invoices
- Making payments
- Journal entries on accounting system
- Cash/bank reconciliation and reports
- Collecting money from students for educational visits
- Reconciling petty cash and academy credit card
- Liaising with cost centre budget holders
- Maintaining Fixed Asset Register
- Academy banking
- Assisting Finance Business Partner in balance sheet reconciliations.
- Dealing with incoming and outgoing finance post.
- Administering finances in relation to peripatetic tuition
- Raising sales invoices for lettings
- Supporting the Academy in finding ways to raise capital funding and achieving better value for money
- Liaising with letting company regarding financial elements
- Giving financial support for any capital spend projects
- Working with Federation Business Partner and Principal in agreeing priorities for expenditure and monitoring the effectiveness of spending and usage of resources
- Ensuring all matters regarding Academy insurance are dealt with in line with Federation procedures
- Ensuring financial procedures operate in accordance with statutory guidelines, Academies financial regulations and guidelines set out in the academy's policies and procedures
- Providing statistical information as required
- To be familiar with all the different funding streams that make up the academy budget and be aware of who has direct responsibility for each
- Supporting the process of and responding to audit reports and implementation of recommendations
- Checking compliance with the Academies Financial Handbook, reporting any concerns to the Finance Business Partner and the Principal
- Overseeing all contracts
- Monitoring financial and quality issues relating to academy meals contract
- Working with FBP when contracts are due renewal and ascertain value for money
- Presenting the professional and welcoming face of the Academy to all, including telephone callers
- Ensuring all visitors are signed in to the academy in accordance with safeguarding procedures
- Responding to queries from parents/carers and the general public with exemplary professionalism
- Ensuring the overall appearance of the reception area is tidy, professional and presentable
- General administrative duties such as typing, photocopying, filing, collation and distribution of post
- Contributing to the maintenance of accurate and up to date academy information databases and filing systems relating to pupils
- Assisting academy staff in all aspects of academy life, including contacting parents and pupils where necessary
- Providing general administrative support to the academy as required
Qualifications & Experience
- Educated to A level or equivalent
- Knowledge of school finance systems
- Knowledge of a variety of financial recording systems
- Knowledge of the budget setting process
- Understanding of the role and function of external audit
- At least three years’ experience working in a finance department
- Experience of working within financial controls
- Experience of assisting with budget setting and budget management
- Previous experience in an administrative or front office/reception role
- Demonstrable customer service experience
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris Primary Academy Purley Way is a new academy, which opened in September 2016 as part of the Harris Federation: a London based charity that has more than 20 years’ experience of running successful schools in London. The brand new ...